Salty dog Question?

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Flyguysc, Mar 10, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Flyguysc

Flyguysc Astrea Snail

I started up my QT tank this after noon kinda. I ran my RODI water Sunday in order to make enough for my QT. So I mixed up 10 Gals. and added the 1/2 cup of salt per gal. per label instructions. My question is, when should I check the salinity & s g? After a couple hours when things are mixed? I have a heater & a 120 Power head for mixing. My Initial salinity reading was 1.026. I do have more RODI to dilute the solution if needed.

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

If possible wait until tomorrow. What brand of salt? What are you using to measure the SG?

4. Flyguysc

Flyguysc Astrea Snail

Yep eight hours makes a big difference in the salinity readings, 1.026 to 1.024. I'm using Instant Ocean Aquarium salt and there brand of hydrometer.

5. Flyguysc

Flyguysc Astrea Snail

My SG went from 1.26 to 1.024 over night, so letting it mix is the trick. Loaded my QT tank and stared the Nitrogen Cycle. My 90 gal. DP tank is about four weeks into its cycling process and the parameters are coming along nicely. I'm thinking four more weeks and she could be fish ready. I have been ghost feeding every other day for two weeks. Once the QT cycles I will add two fish and observe for three two five weeks. So nine more weeks and hopefully fish on. I'm in for the long haul so the reward should be sweet;D

6. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Be sure to calibrate your hydrometer often and watch for micro bubbles on the swing arm.;)
    Sounds like an excellent plan to me!!8)

7. Flyguysc

Flyguysc Astrea Snail

Not sure how accurate the hydrometer is from Instant Ocean but plan to upgrade soon. To what not sure, more research during waiting for tank to cycle. Will post picks of QT set up tonight. Could be considered by me as the new standard for the industry.LOL ;D Kinda went to the cheapo side on this set up considering this is a observation tank.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 16, 2014