saltwater ich

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by mufassathelion, Feb 28, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mufassathelion

mufassathelion Skunk Shrimp

i believe i have ich in my saltwater tank.... i do not have another tank to set up n put the inverts in....i need to get rid of this asap.... i dont want anything to die or get over infested with ich.... and the few lfs i trust dont hold for you so its either buy the copper based "cure" or treat and hope everything else lives.... i have read i need to take the anemone's and allthe crabs out.... snails???

2. Click Here!

3. m_hsiao

m_hsiao Purple Spiny Lobster

do not do that..
    it is very normal for a saltwater aquarium to have ich.. in fact, most aquariums have ich in the aquarium..
    you didn't mention how big your tank was?
    what are your water parameters?
    are you fish eating?
    what exactly do you have in your tank?
    how old is your tank?
    what is the temperature of your tank?
    do you have any algae problems?

if your water parameters are up to par, and your fish are eating. i would not put them in a seperate tank as it will just stress out the livestock more.. leave them alone in the tank if they are still eating.. only treat fish if they have SEVERE ich and are not eating.. do not treat the tank with copper based treatments. especially if you have inverts and plan on keeping inverts in the future.. do some reading on google.ca but this is a start of a trend of information for you to be reading..
    also, feed your fish a wide variety of diet if they are still eating.. give them some veggie flakes, brine shrimp, mysis shrimp and some flakes with garlic mix
    good luck..

4. mufassathelion

its a 75 gallon tall... i dont have a amonia tester yet. but i can tell u the rest as of 3 days ago... salinity 1.024 ph due to strip method 7.8-8.4 nitrites 0ppm nitrates5ppm temp is kept at a constant 78 my thermometer is set in the farthest corner of the tank
    Are they eatin.... i guess the real question is do they ever stop... lion fish eats 10-15 guppies a day if i feed him that many, the rest well i feed a mix from a lfs i got, frozen brine shrimp mix and a mix of reg flake food... on occasion i throw a seaweed strip in.. does this help any?

5. m_hsiao

m_hsiao Purple Spiny Lobster

you really need to do some research, i would suggest you to take your livestock back to the lfs.. an anemone can crash your tank if your tank isn't ready for anemone.. so while you can get some credit, i suggest you to do so.. doens't seem like your tank has any liverock at all either from that display picture but i could be wrong.. you have a LOT of reading to do..

6. mufassathelion

that pis is a old pic i have roughly 60lbs lr

7. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

60lbs rock is still on the low side.
    The best cure for ich is great water and a healthy diet. If you use copper you wont be able to have anything but fish for the rest of that tanks life.
    You need to get quality test kits. Strips are horribly, horribly inaccurate. I wouldn't trust those things as far as I could throw them. Are you testing the SG using a hydrometer or refractometer? What are you feeding? How long ago did you add rock? Every time you add rock to the tank you are going to cycle all over again, so if it was recently added, that could be what is going on.
    If the water params are good, and a healthy fish is getting a good diet, then a fish will fight off ich on its own without treatment.

8. Click Here!

9. mirandacollc

mirandacollc Flame Angel

First thing I would do is take the strip tests and throw them in the trash. Without good test kits including the missing amonia you really have no idea what you tank is doing. second I would turn your temp up to 80 as this helps fish battle off ick. Dont put copper into your tank. My tank has had ick a few times and the fish seemed to par just fine. I would throw some garlic based food in there also as it will help with the fishes immune system. I agree m hsiao about the reading thing. Do you have a list of fish, inverts and parameters? maybe that will allow others to help a bit better.

10. trelane

trelane Peppermint Shrimp

go print a copy of the ASAP form and take a sample of your water to the LFS and have THEM test it, and fill in the values. Fill out the form completely in your next post and we'll probably be able to identify the cause of your ich. Please please please read teh stickies next time before posting!

Strips are great they have their purpose REEF AQUARIUMS ARENT IT. Go get real testing supplies.

For now look at the various threads on 3reef on garlic and consider a cleaner shrimp. Don't dump chemicals in the tank.

11. Marian

Marian Plankton

Keep watching your tank

You got really good advices. Go for some quality water tests (eBay will give you a set of 4 test types for around $20 including shipping).
    Stay away from Ich attack or any other product. Some will have cooper in their composition and you will never be able to get it out, some will restart your cycle.
    I have recently used Ich attack on my Bio29 and right now my tank is cycling again this time with fish inside. I am tired of every other day water changes.

Marian

12. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

Ok Mufas--First things first. Dont panic (it is the worst thing you can do) I am going through my first bout with ich on my powder brown tang. I just did all the reading and calling around to get the answers--this can be very confusing as everyone has a different opinion, all with good intensions. I will tell you what is working for me at this time. I dont know if you have corals or not--mine is FOWLR right now. I am feeding frozen Brine-Mysis-and Marine 2 (Green) I soak them as they defrost in Garlic Juice--(Kroger--1.99--Not Garlic Oil) about 3 drops--I also add 3-4 drops of Kent Zoe (Vitamins and Minerals)Then hang a Romaine Leaf rubbed with garlic juice.Cut my lights back to 4-5 hrs a day to reduce stress--warmed up my temp to 86 and lowered my salinity to 1.019. I have seen a major reduction and getting better daily. People here are right. boost your fishes immune system and let them fight it naturally.Unless it is too severe and fish is in immediate danger. I wish you luck. It makes your heart hurt and feel helpless. I WILL NOT LOOSE THIS FISH!!! HE WAS MY FIRST REAL S.W. FISH.