Saltwater Delivery

Discussion in 'South Florida Reef Society' started by HeritageReef, Jul 14, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. HeritageReef

HeritageReef Plankton

I'm looking for a South Florida supplier of Natural seawater delivered to the home.
    I've heard i can get 400 gallons for $100. Seems like a good deal if it's quality water. I found a 275g container for $100 and i'll make room in the garage.
    Are there any drawbacks to storing the water for 3-4 months . . . such as PH drift or precipitation of minerals?

2. Click Here!

3. johnmaloney

johnmaloney 3reef Sponsor

I would keep it aerated with a small pump. That is a good price considering gas these days

4. WhiskyTango

WhiskyTango Eyelash Blennie

I see you're in Plantation.

I was up in West Palm Beach a few weeks ago, and the water in the marina's there was crystal clear. If you've got the time and means, it may be worth taking it yourself from West Palm on an incoming tide. I run boats for a living, and I've never seen inshore water so clean before. I was amazed!!

Just a thought, or you could have it delivered.

It will also have plankton die off, so a skimmer and a little LR might give it some shelf life.

Remember to aerate, circulate and UV sterilize.

5. HeritageReef

HeritageReef Plankton

Thanks for the tips guys!
    good to hear that the water is healthy in WP!
    I'll let you know if it works out.

6. HeritageReef

HeritageReef Plankton

Update:
    I'm happy with my efforts.
    I found an ole cuban guy that's been delivering saltwater for 19 years out of Miami . . . he only delivers to Broward and PalmBeach, though - hates the cuban traffic (his words).

$85 gets me 330 gallons.
    He gets it from the inlet at high tide.
    Filters it through a paper pool filter rig on delivery.

I was surprised to find that the KH was 6, PH was 8.8, Calc was 280.
    Raised it with Baking soda & Pool Time hardness increaser.

Plumbed pvc thru ceiling from garage to tank, pushed by a Mag9.5 - works great.
    Aerate for a couple hours before transfer, storage tank covered with large drop cloth to keep it dark.

Got the 330g storage tank on Craig's list for $120.
    Water changes just got a hell of a lot easier!
    I removed over half of my 5 yr old DSB over the course of 3 water changes.
    Nitrates are finally under 100 after 2 months of effort messing with ATS, Fuge, water changes, etc.
    Nitrates currently at 4.

for reference:
    saltwater delivery - broward and palm beach
    Fidelio - three-0-five-389-2812

7. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

I don't mean to be a buzz kill, but water in-shore, i.e. from an inlet, will tend to be watered down, due mixing with water from the intracoastal water way, also from runoff from lakes, streams etc... That is why the numbers are low. It's likely fairly polluted from run off too. Usually, in urbanized areas especially you need to go offshore to get clean water.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. libog2fish

libog2fish Fire Shrimp

x2
    seems like the time and effort to pay for that idea is very high in cost and time consuming...
    purchasing RO/DI water and good quality sea salt has been provin that why our reef's florish in our closed system...::):confused::)

10. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Yup, I would definitely check the salinity before using it.

11. dskyers

dskyers Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

I have some coming Sunday to change my water. The company name is all about reefs. And he is charging me a 1doller a gallon. Witch I think is fair. Let me know if u want the number.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk