salt wont mix in

Discussion in 'Salt' started by stepho, Feb 17, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

I use a 150w heater to keep the water warm. It really should be warmed to your tank temperature before mixing, too, since SG is a measurement that's relative to the temperature of the water; 1.025 will be a different amount of salt at 60 degrees than at 75 degrees. I also use 2 pumps, totaling about 400gph, in my mix bucket. One has the outlet pointed up, the other has it swirling around the bucket. Nothing settles to the bottom, not even with the new Red Sea Coral Pro super high alk/cal/mag salt (what settles out of salt, then won't mix, is usually calcium carbonate).

What I do is mix in the salt slowly. I put in about 1/3rd at a time, and don't put in more until the water is fully clear and the salt is fully mixed in. That way, you don't get residuals at the bottom.

2. Click Here!

3. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

Was the salt clumpy at all?

----------------
    Sent from Tapatalk, so please forgive grammar and spelling :)

4. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

The salt I was dumping in was clumpy in parts. The salt at the bottom is not clump at all.

posted with tapatalk please ignore bad spelling and grammar

5. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

I've found my salt to not mix well if the additives got clumpy. I now have these wonderful Teco salt buckets with sealing O rings. My salt mixes very well now. I use IO. I should add the Teco buckets are wonderful, but the salt is crappo if anyone runs across it. But the bucket is worth it, if you pour the salt out :)

----------------
    Sent from Tapatalk, so please forgive grammar and spelling :)