Salt sediment observation

Discussion in 'Salt' started by MajesticCoral, Nov 25, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. MajesticCoral

MajesticCoral Fire Worm

I have a tank a few months old it's a 46g Bowfront,I been using instant ocean salt everything seems good but I noticed lately at the bottom of the front and sides of the tank where the glass comes together that there's this white stuff that I believe to be salt,is this normal for saltwater tanks or do you believe there is a seal leak which is causing salt to gather on the outside seems of the tank

2. Click Here!

3. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

It's called salt creep. And it's coming from somewhere. Could be splash too. Have you noticed a drop in your water level? More so then just from evaporation.

4. MajesticCoral

MajesticCoral Fire Worm

Oh alright,ah yes a tad more I found my hob filtration unit was leaking,I just repaired it last night.

Do you think the water that was leaking from the filter could have caused that.

5. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

No. Salt creep only forms where water is leaking or splashing. If you have salt on the outside of the seams and there are no drips in that area, then there's a good chance your seams are starting to leak.