Salt recommendations!

Discussion in 'Salt' started by Jlobes, Jun 1, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jlobes

Jlobes Coral Banded Shrimp

Grims tank definitely shows great results. But, we all know that's more than just salt.(nice work there grim). Thanks again everyone. But, seems like we might be down to coralife and IO reef crystals. Basically, the same price and specs. May as well get twice the salt for the same price and maybe have to dose, just a bit.

Oh and snook, like I said I'm aleady using Kent and it's acceptable. But was hoping to find something....I guess better. And changing salts repeatedly to find "the one" seems ridiculous. Guess I could set up 10 exact systems and run a "test".

2. Click Here!

3. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

Thanks guys I really appreciate it. I made the decision after looking through reef of the month thread after thread and IO or reef crystals was the salt over and over again.. I looked at the bill I was paying for Salinity and decided to swap. I've been thrilled with it, doesn't lower my orp or cloud my tank and is dead on consistent batch after batch. That and all the tanks I aspire to use IO - Sanjay, Randy and Boomer.

1 person likes this.
  4. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

On another note I started my tank with reef crystals and was happy with it but at one point I was looking to save some money so i tried the kent for maybe 100 gallons or so and then went back to reef crystals.

It wasnt till after I switched from the the Kent back to the reef crystals that I realized the reef crystals was better imo. I dont have numbers to prove it was better, but my tank just looked better and happier.

5. Jlobes

Jlobes Coral Banded Shrimp

Guess that's kinda what I was after. It's not that Kent sucks. But will a different product give my tank a little more oomph/bling!

6. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

Your method of choosing a salt was the most thought out of anyone posting here! Big thumbs up. The easiest path to success is one traveled by one who is successful! I can tell you guys that the advice that Thatgrimguy gave you is priceless. The most popular salt of all the high end reefkeepers in the US is regular old IO. The reason is simply, consistancy. That being said, most of those SPS keepers of tank of the month caliber are also running calcium reactors to maintain cal, alk, mag, and trace elements so no other dosing is really needed. The only reason I can find to use a salt with boosted elements is if you are using it to maintain your elements instead of dosing.

1 person likes this.