Salt recommendations!

Discussion in 'Salt' started by Jlobes, Jun 1, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jlobes

Jlobes Coral Banded Shrimp

Hey folks,
    I know this is a well talked about subject and I have used the search engine and read many responses. But, was hoping to get some responses from the more "professional" users of this site. I'm definitely not trying to start a salt bashing thread or any debates, I just happen to be upgrading from a 72 to 120 while also, needing to order salt.

So, which is your pick? I've been using Kent, because I inherited boxes of it from a friend. But, I'm not attached and hoping to find a "better" mix. So far, I've narrowed the choices down to:

Coralife(used by the LFS, affordable)
    red sea coral pro(gets good reviews, tests high)
    iO reef crystals(popular, affordable)
    D.D h2ocean MagPro+(great reviews, expensive)

Thanks in advance for any responses. play nice :)

2. Click Here!

3. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

I use corallife and have not had any issue, still new to the hobby and dont have many corals but everything seems to be thriving without adding anything to the tank

4. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

Personally I use reef crystals and dont have any complaints really. everything tests out well, calcium, mag, alk, etc.....but if I could i would go with aquavitro salinity. its really expensive tho. I noticed you didnt list it.

aquavitro . salinity

5. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

Instant ocean and reef crystals are the most popular salts in the world for a reason. They are affordable and consistent. I used aquavitro salinity for a long time and recently swapped to Instant ocean. I swapped because of the cost and the clouding I got from Salinity. I dose the IO to boost cal and mag and it's been a better salt for me for WAY less money.

6. SnooknRedz

SnooknRedz Vlamingii Tang

what kind of tank are we taklking about, reef, fish only? If its fish only, nearly any salt will do, but reefs need salt with high levels of elements to sustain coral growth.

7. Jlobes

Jlobes Coral Banded Shrimp

Sorry snook. Was just about to come back to edit and noticed responses already. Were talking about a heavily coral stocked, mixed reef tank.

@ grim, and just because it's popular doesn't make it the "best" option. Like I said not trying to start an argument, but just for a moment ponder this. Your instant ocean and you want to sell as much salt as you can. Best way, get all the distributors/suppliers to use your product, by offering it at an incredible price. Then everyone will say, it's the most popular and all the suppliers use it! Now, this is just me being the cynic that I am.

8. Click Here!

9. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

I recently switched from instant ocean to red sea coral pro.After two 20% water changes I have definitely noticed an increase in coralline growth.

10. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

It's also one of the most consistent salts with the most people able to say its safe. You don't need any magic from salt. Just consistency and IO is dead on. It has no weird organics or vitamins and is very close to actual NSW. If you are manual dosing with a very small amount of 2 part or not dosing at all, starting with higher #s on the big 3 can be a little more important. But in comparison to the amount of alk and cal dosed on a typical reef system, a w/c is insignificant.

Here is a well respected guide on what to expect out of the major 3 ions of popular salts.

Synthetic Salt Mixes - Reef Central Online Community

11. SnooknRedz

SnooknRedz Vlamingii Tang

In all honesty, best thing to do is for you to try a salt, and record your levels, and watch your tank. everyones tank is different. So is every batch of salt, you might run into a bad one here and there.

All the ones youve posted have been used with success before, no reason why you should be an acception.

12. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

I think Grims tank can show that the salt (IO) performs as needed. Not only his either, i would think the majority of tanks are on IO reef crystals. And not because its an affordable salt, because it produces results. Besides there are cheaper salts out there with similar levels.