salt/pepper grinder + corals + nassarius snails (tiger included)

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Swisswiss, Aug 18, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

so figured i would post this here rather than food.....

i dont normally feed my corals but back in the days I would play with the idea by grinding with a salt and pepper grinder some small pellet food. this resulted in a poweder of varying sizes, i just tried doing this again with the afternoon feeding.my corals reacted in the following manner:
    my duncans seem to be the ones that appreciate it the most as they have swollen up in a ball like shape and I saw one small piece of the grinded food trapped in a stylophora polyp.

more interestingly are the way my nassarius react, with the normal feeding they dont come out of the sand bed at all. having added this stuff they came out of the sand like zombies within seconds! it was pretty trippy to see. they also vanished back into the sand in less than two minuets.

so my question is this, is it worth doing this maybe once a week in small doses or am i just fouling my water as the corals will only minimally pick up on it? obviously the fish eat the stuff too but seeing as i have P04 at about .10 ppm (way to high in my book) i wouldnt want to be making things worse....perhaps do this once my phospahtes are back in line?

here is some of my coral live stock.

SPS:
    3 red montipora digitata frags (im thinking the polyps might be to small for the grinded food)
    3 montipora capricornis frags (green and red, same issue as the digitata)
    3 blue stylophora frags (seems they can catch the stuff)

LPS:
    hammer
    duncan
    small pectinia
    large polyp cup coral (turbinaria?)

softies:
    clavularia
    several zoas
    toad stool
    sympodium

anemones:
    3 tube
    1 flower
    1 bubble tip

for whats its worth i tried passing the grinded poweder through different artemia harvesting meshes and some fine powder does reach my rotifer mesh. I havent tested if it passes through that though.

P.s my no3 has been at zero for the past week.

as always thx for the help folks

2. Click Here!

3. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

I'd stick with this theory. I dont think its necessary to feed coral unless its sea fan or a gorgonian or a type of sun coral that require multiple daily feedings.

zesty and Swisswiss like this.
  4. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

If your phosphates are that high, I wouldn't feed in that manner.

The only corals that will really benefit at this point are the turbinaria and the duncan, both of which can take a whole pellet anyways.

If you really want to feed your SPS, turn off your flow and spot feed directly with a good made for SPS's tiny polyps (really grind up those pellets). Honestly you'd see better results just using a decent amino acid supplement such as acropower.

Swisswiss likes this.
  5. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

6. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

I used to feed my corals, a lot. I haven't fed my corals in a while. I turned to making sure the fish are fed and let the rest handle itself. Unless, of course, I get those black sun corals! hahaha