Salt mixes

Discussion in 'Salt' started by junior279, Jan 25, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. junior279

junior279 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I have been using instant ocean reef crystals. Is there much difference between the instant ocean and the instant ocean reef crystals besides the $15.00 price difference?

2. Click Here!

3. shoebox

shoebox Bubble Tip Anemone

I switched from the salt to the crystals higher salinity also other chemistry came up. Worth the couple bucks to me.

4. diverdan

diverdan Bangghai Cardinal

Some prefer IO to reef crystals because they prefer to dose their own tank, also as a user of reef crystals I find the calcium level to be on the higher side, depending on the batch above 500ppm. This is my experience with it, others might have more information.

5. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

If you have a fish only or fish with live rock tank instant ocean is all you need. Even if you have some mushrooms/softies/leathers IO is all you need because they do not really use CA, Alk, or other elements like LPS and SPS do.

If you have a lot of LPS and SPS many still use IO but it runs on the low side meaning you have to test and dose the other major elements. RC runs higher in all categories so you are less likely to dose depending on how many and how much growth you have from SPS and LPS.

6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I have used both and now use IO only. RC was too unpredictable for me. It would raise the ALK sharply, more than I wanted.

As already stated I prefer to dose and have consistent values.

7. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

IO is really consistent and I agree with above. I do prefer dosing my own tank and being able to manage my own levels.

8. Click Here!

9. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

I currently use Reef Crystals and you are right, my ALK shoots WAY up after water changes. For anyone using BioPellets this can be bad news.