Salt-Mix Survey

Discussion in 'Salt' started by Matt Rogers, Mar 19, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

What Salt do you Use

1. Kent

1.8%
  2. Oceanic

8.8%
  3. Instant Ocean

42.1%
  4. Tropic Marin

3.5%
  5. Tropic Marin Pro

5.3%
  6. Reef Crystals

14.9%
  7. Seachem

6.1%
  8. Ocean Pure

1.8%
  9. Ocean Pure Pro

0.9%
  10. Marine Environment

0.9%
  11. OTHER

14.0%
  1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Sure is a hot topic. Really curious what others are using and why. Do tell!

2. Click Here!

3. Wrassman

Wrassman Peppermint Shrimp

The one I use, is Instant Ocean.  Why?  It is the one most readily available.  All of the LFS's in my area have it (heck, even Petsmart has it!).  So, it is readily available, and it is relativaly cheap.

The one I would like to use, you don't have on your list: Tropic Marin.  If you are interested in reading about it, let me know, I would be glad to post an article on it.  It is made in Germany, of course ;D, and usually rates higher on the scales of any test given by anyone for anything, here in the U.S.  Now, it is not the best that is out there.  But, it is one of the better brands, that is affordable.  You can get 10KG for about $35.00 + shipping and handling.  That's not too bad.  [smiley=thinking2.gif]
    Edit: Made colors easier to see.

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Tropic Marin! ::)

Thanks for pointing that out Wrassman, I added it.

I used to use Tropic Marin many a moon ago but switched to Coralife because it didn't have phosphorous. Made sense to me at the time. Not sure anymore.

5. CheckMateKingll

CheckMateKingll Feather Duster

I use Instant Ocean because of the pricing....
    Check out the Link below, an experiment conducted by, Ronald Shimek Ph.D. Titled,,,,
    [glow=red, 2, 300]"The Toxicity of Some Freshly Mixed Artificial Sea Water" [/glow]
    Might find it interesting,,,,
    http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-03/rs/feature/index.htm

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Yep. That's part of the motivation behind this survey. ;) Also just to see what people are using.

7. lzb3

lzb3 Astrea Snail

I have always used IO so that's how I answered the pole. I recently acquired a wholesale biz license for aquarium maint which allows me to buy supplies wholesale. I now how the choice between Kent Sea Salt and IO among others. I had purchased the Kent salt for a client and liked the way it mixed and tested. I may use it on the 500.

I still haven't decided!

Elizabeth

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

i use IO but since i could only mark one salt just wanted to say i also like reef crystals sometimes i can pick that up cheaper than IO. some places have it on sale from time to time

10. Wrassman

Wrassman Peppermint Shrimp

Hey Liz,

Don't do that until you try Tropic Marin. I'm sure you can order it, it's not that difficult to get (I've used it before when I was living in Louisiana). Try the TM before you make any decisions on what to use in the 500. ;D

11. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

I'm using the Marine Environment 2-part salt mix with great results so far. I will post the tests once I get through my third bag as I will have turned the entire water column over at that point.

Mixes well and for some reason my PITA green algae accumulation has slowed way down. Th salt is the only change in my tank.

[smiley=smoke.gif] [smiley=thumbs_up.gif] [smiley=uzi.gif] [smiley=cool4.gif]

12. DuhJeepster

DuhJeepster Plankton

Like the vast majority that has responded to the pole, I too use IO salt. I have to mailorder basically anything that has to do with keeping a saltwater tank. So I go for the cheapest and most popular with quality in mind, and IO fits that bill.

DuhJeepster [smiley=afro.gif] [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]