Salt level

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by ijeh99, Apr 20, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ijeh99

ijeh99 Plankton

If my salt level is at 36 today and not the usual 31 - is this very critical?! Meaning does this harm my habitants in the tank?

2. Click Here!

3. Wrassman

Wrassman Peppermint Shrimp

[glow=Red, 2, 100%]Hey ijeh99,

How fast did it go up?

Some critters don't notice changes in salinity, or sg, very much at all (many fish don't care). There are a number of critters though, mainly inverts (starfish, shrimp, crabs, etc.), that don't like the water to change that much in a short period of time.

The level the water is now won't hurt anything, short term, but you should try to bring it down, gradually, over a period of a week or so, by adding fresh water (no salt).

Let me know how things are going today, and keep me posted.
    [/glow]

4. ijeh99

ijeh99 Plankton

I did a water change - and I was sure that I added the correct amount of salt (measured with the gage) before adding the new water to the aquarium. My chocolate star fish is going slow but the rest seem okay - fish and shrimp. What is the maximum amount of salt that should be in an aquarium? Thanks.

5. Wrassman

Wrassman Peppermint Shrimp

[glow=Navy, 3, 90%]Hey ijeh99,

I never want to run my tank with the "maximum" salt level in the water. That is just not good practice, and not good for the animals.

I wouldn't run it higher than 36 (1.027) if it were me. I keep mine at 34 (1.025) and have for many years and my animals do great.

You should add straight fresh water (with a little buffer in it to increase pH). Just a little bit daily, until your salinity has reached 34, or even 33. This would be much better on your animals. They are stressed at the higher salinity levels; but they are also stressed by changing too fast.

Remember, add fresh water slowly...
    [/glow]
    [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] [smiley=biggrinbounce.gif] [smiley=biglaugh.gif] [smiley=thumbs_up.gif]​

6. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

[glow=red, 2, 300]Great advice Steve![/glow]

:) ;) :D ;D 8)

7. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

i try to keem mine around 1.025 also but what i do is when i mix up my change water i mix it a little lower but it hasnt hurt anything by doing it. i think it seems to help keep it there without going over