Salt level goes down after adding

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by SpngBob, Feb 13, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SpngBob

SpngBob Astrea Snail

This is the first time I have needed to add salt... My specific gravity went down to 1.022 so I was at the fish store... and this store specializes only in fish...

There was only 2 people working ad I got teh most unenthusiastic guy there... We were in a hurry and he just shuffles around and he couldnt tell me how much salt to add...

he says just to add as much needed... so i asked about how much and he just tells me to add some...

I added 3 tablespoons for my 30 gallon and it didnt effect it so today i added 1/4 cup and my specific gravity went down to 1.019... could anyone please help me to get it back up... thanks

2. Click Here!

3. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

First I will ask, What type of Salinity measurement devise are you using?
    If it is a swing arm type you may want to measure using RO/DI only to see if it is reading correctly.
    Do multiple reads always read the same?
    Do you have any temperature issues?
    Then to correct I would add 1/4 cup and wait half and hour then read again
    Repeat if needed. reduce the size of the cup once you are getting close
    I don't think anyone can tell you exactly how much salt to add to increase it from 1.019 to your desired level

4. Phil5613

Phil5613 Purple Spiny Lobster

I don't like to add salt directly to my tank. i also don't like guessing with salinity. I suggest premixing water to the salinity you want, then remove some water from tank and add new water basicly a water change. This raises the salinity slowly and gives you better control.

5. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

I hope you did not add directly to your tank. This method will really screw things up.
    There has to be a reason why your SC dropped like that. Find the problem then it will be easy to correct.

6. SpngBob

SpngBob Astrea Snail

No I premixed it... Do I need to mix it with all the water that I will be putting into the tank? I think where I skrewed up is I put the 1/4 cup in with the bowl of water... added that later then put in more freshwater... dont know what I was thinking...

Should I just fill a bucket up and mix? About how long should I leave the bucket with salt before I add it to the tank... Thanks for all you help

7. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

[quote author=SpngBob link=board=ASAP;num=1076725600;start=0#4 date=02/14/04 at 12:23:23]No I premixed it... Do I need to mix it with all the water that I will be putting into the tank? I think where I skrewed up is I put the 1/4 cup in with the bowl of water... added that later then put in more freshwater... dont know what I was thinking...

Should I just fill a bucket up and mix? About how long should I leave the bucket with salt before I add it to the tank... Thanks for all you help[/quote]

WOW ok most reefers mix the salt in a tub or say a rubbermaid trash can and test it in the tub before adding to the aquarium.
    Also it seems to completely mix in 24 hours I know some that mix and and let sit for 3 days before they add it to the tank. I use a rio 2500 pump in my trash can to swirl the water around which mixes the salt and a heater to get the salt mix to 78 degrees. I test the SC and if needed I add more water or more salt depending on the SC reading.

Once the salt mix is where I want it I pump out the EXACT amount I am wanting to put in.
    Some people drip it into the tank but my setup is not as fancy as others.

8. Click Here!

9. SpngBob

SpngBob Astrea Snail

Thanks for the help... Dont know what I was thinkin!!! :eek:

10. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

if your salt was in the 1.022 area that was actually ok the proper range is 1.021-1.025 as long as your there its ok. you should never add directly to your tank fresh salt added can actually burn fish and corals. it should be mixed and let set about 24 hours before changing. mix up your salt water in your bucket if you want it a little higher do this in your bucket and test that. also there was another topic we had on testing change water check it out

testing fresh mixed salt

also if you are using a swing arm type take a plastic knife and tap the swing arm sometines you will get air bubbles that hang on to it and it may affect your reading also rinse with fresh water to rinse any salt that may have accumulated on it this may affect your reading. they are pretty acurate but the least little salt or airbubble can give you a false reading