Salinity

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by ParrotFish, Dec 1, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ParrotFish

ParrotFish Plankton

Hi,

I have a 65 gallon salt water tank with live rocks. I just set up and started cycling the tank last night. I tested my salinity levels this morning, and the readings vary in different areas of the tank. I have hydrometer and the readings show as low as 1.024 and as high as 1.027 (oh no!). I thought the water would settle and mix over night and there should be consistency throughout the tank. I have been running my filter (AquaClear power filer 110) and two Hydro Koralia circulation and wave pumps (rate flow of 600 gph for one and 750 gph for the other) since I set the tank up. Is it normal to get varied readings? Also, is doing a partial water change the only way that I can reduce the 1.027 into "safe range"?

Thanks so much!

2. Click Here!

3. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

If you're using a floating glass hydrometer, flow affects the readings; you need to get a tall glass of your water for testing. If it's a swing-arm type, I'd toss it. It's just physically impossible for such a small body of water to have varied salinity readings, and especially where there is current.

4. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

The water should be the same salinity throughout the tank. I would not do any water changes or anything to change the salinity. I would instead highly recommend getting yourself an auto temp correcting refractometer and 35ppt calibration solution.

5. ParrotFish

ParrotFish Plankton

Thank you for your replies. It is a swing arm reader. I will try to buy a new reader today. Boy, does the cost of this add up!

6. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

oh yes it does! :) welcome to the obsession

7. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

A refractometer is a must have item.

8. Click Here!

9. Inertiatic

Inertiatic Bubble Tip Anemone