Salinity level !

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by charbel101, Jan 5, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. charbel101

charbel101 Astrea Snail

I have 20 gallon saltwater tank and the thing is my salinity was 1.25 for FOWLR and i felt it's high for FOWLR so i did a water change this morning and i added R/O water and now i tested the water and it's 1.22 so it's good or it's too low :/? i have 2 crabs and 1 black urchin :/ im so worried :(

2. Click Here!

3. mikekx65

mikekx65 Skunk Shrimp

Its not good to change water parameters quickly. If it were me I would of left it at 1.025. How many gallon water change did you do? And did you even add any saltwater back into the tank or was it all straight rodi water?

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

The urchin will be the most stressed. 1.022 might too low for the urchin. Fish and crabs should be fine. Word of caution: you can go down in value easily, going back up is stressful and should be done slowly through evaporation.

5. charbel101

charbel101 Astrea Snail

it was all straight rodi water what would happen now? i need to make it high again my urchin will die?

6. mikekx65

mikekx65 Skunk Shrimp

You should never just add plain water to your tank after a water change. Nothing should happen fast with a saltwater aquarium. Like said above 1.022 is a little low for the urchin but don't go crazy raising your salinity back up quickly. As water evaporates from your tank add fresh mixed saltwater that's around 1.025 to the tank to bring it back up. IMO I would of left your tank at 1.025 maybe 1.024 but no lower.

7. charbel101

charbel101 Astrea Snail

But im good for now? is there any something bad can happen? like dying or anything? i don't have fish just 1 black urchin and 2 crabs

8. Click Here!

9. mikekx65

mikekx65 Skunk Shrimp

Doing ANYTHING fast in a saltwater aquarium is going to stress every piece of livestock you have and possibly even kill things as well. Before you go doing anything to your tank you need to do some research or make a thread on here and have the 3 reef community help you out. Its a lot easier to prevent a problem before it happens than it is to try and fix something you caused.

10. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

When an urchin is stressed they lay down their spines and loose spines.

If your going to keep inverts you should be more around 1.024-.26.

So you have no fish in the tank? Is this tank newly cycled?

How are you testing SG?

For now I would leave it be.

11. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Don't believe everything you hear. Fish come from the same oceans as everything else.

As already stated, the damage is done; you will only make it worse by trying to raise it back to normal too quickly.

12. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I would just leave it be for now and don't stress :)