Urgent Salinity Issue

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by andru1313, Aug 1, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. andru1313

andru1313 Purple Spiny Lobster

Ok i just moved my tank. I don't have my RODI set up installed yet. I have a 24g nano. move went ok. So far things look to be happy. I had to do a fairly large water change when i moved so i went to test the salinity and OMG:eek: it was 1.038...........

I am a bit freaked out. My corals all are open and even my clam looks happy and my Anemone .. That being said I think I need to lower it back down to the 1.024 I usually run at.

Nothing good happens fast in salt water so wanted to make sure the best way to do this. I got 10 gallons of RO water. What would be the best way to lower the salinity level? Should I do a 5 gallon change and just add RO water or should I do it slower? Please help.. Thanks.

2. Click Here!

3. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

what did you test with? Hydrometer?
    Make sure you wash it thoroughly with fresh water before using it.. They can be REALLY inaccurate sometimes. Test multiple times too!

Dont do anything until you are sure. I would think your fish would be showing signs of stress at that high of a salinity?

4. andru1313

Tested past two days and its still been that high. I then tested my RO water and a bucked of saltwater I made and it was zero for the RO water and 1.026 on the SW I made. UGH IDK. Only things that look stressed are my Zoas..

5. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

Tried getting it tested at the LFS yet?
    Sounds like your hydrometer is fine though. do a small waterchange, (maybe 2g at a time) with only RO water and test again.
    its like doing the 5G waterchange but slower...

6. andru1313

Ok Yah LFS is bit far for me at the moment. HATE MOVING.. I will See what I can do. I have been changing my Filter floss every other day due to the move so will start doing the water changes today..

7. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

Do it like if you were acclimating a new fish to your tank. I believe that if your fish arent showing any signs of stress they should be ok. So just slownly bring it down.

I hate the moving chaos.. i went thought that myself 2 months ago.. but with a 150G tank :p and a 29 :p it was such a hassle i didnt get any sleep that dayLOL

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  8. Click Here!

9. andru1313

I know the feeling. I have lost a few things already. lost some Acans and my plate. Sigh..