sailfin tang what they eat....

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by libog2fish, Oct 19, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. libog2fish

libog2fish Fire Shrimp

hi fellow hoyiestI just got a sail and need to know what they like to eat?

2. Click Here!

3. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

Once you get them going on prepared food. They will eat alot of stuff.

Nori (Dried Seaweed which is the main portion of their diet besides Live rock to graze on. Brine Shrimp, Mysis Shrimp, Krill. Cyclops... Flakes Pelets... but Mainly Nori :)

1 person likes this.
  4. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

+1 on above

they will consume anything edible IME but like all tangs, you need to have a high veggie ratio
    so an algae clip, feeding nori sheets provided on regular basis is a good idea IME

Steve

5. smackrock

smackrock Coral Banded Shrimp

Romaine lettuce is good for them. Nori works too. That's just a base though not complete nutrition. For my tang (Scopas Tang) I feed mysis 3 days a week, Omnivore marine chips 2 days a week, and emerald entre 2 days. I also give her a piece of romaine lettuce every day.

6. Pickupman66

Pickupman66 Tassled File Fish

Romaine Lettuce? I have always heard and been of the opinion that it is more of a filler than anything and doesnt offer much in the way of true nutrition. Nori or a processed seaweed sheet will be much more beneficial to them. I have kept tangs for years and have had very good success with a good quality marine flake such as Formula 2 from Ocean Nutrition, regular feedings of a mixed frozen (feed my own homemade fish mush) and providing them some Nori on a daily basis. I buy my Nori at Publix but using a good store bought brand is good as well.

If it is a healthy tang it will be picking at the rocks that is the first good sign. in my experience, a tang will eat just about anything you toss in there. I have never had a picky tang when it came to eating.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  7. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

That would be Iceburg lettuce, not Romaine. Romaine is actually one of the most nutrition-packed lettuces - and you can tell by the slightly bitter taste and darker coloration compared to other lettuces.

8. Click Here!

9. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

+1 My advice to you is do not start him on any lettuce until he is eating the Nori.

10. Pickupman66

OH, if the fish is shy from the clip, rubber band it to a chunk of rock and toss that in. this way it has a better locaiton. you can then train them to eat from the clip if shy.

here are mine eating from my hand. I have had them since August, but they have been in captivity for a while. the sohal will chase me in the tank and nibble on my fingers when I am working in there thinking I have food.

Video: the camera and the food are hard to hold at the same time. I cannot feed them this way often as they get water on the bulbs. this piece will be gone in under 3 minutes.
    [​IMG]

and a good video of them all that was shot a few minutes after the first one. as you can see, Very healthy and colorful. sadly, they will have to be given to the TN aquarium this winter as they are getting a little big.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  11. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

I feed my tank the same way (including a purple tang) as you do in the first video. I hold it and let them nibble until it's hydrated enough to rip apart into little pieces by rubbing it together. I do pretty much the same with frozen.

12. Pickupman66

I cannot get it into the clip without them stealing it from me. they are monsters some times.

as for the lettuce. even if it is does have more vitamins, I still wont feed it to my Tangs. i am of the opinion that if it is not part of their wild diet, or made from their wild diet, it should not be a part of their captive diet. thats just my opinions and personal feelings from my experiences.

I have never experienced HLLE and have always been able to keep very healthy tangs. from these three, to the three in my last tank, all have been extremely healthy. the three from my last tank were all in captivity for over 5 years and are in other local tanks doing wonderfully.