Sailfin Tang, Desjardini

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by stevem650, Apr 10, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. stevem650

stevem650 Astrea Snail

I just added this fish to my tank. Does anyone else have him in thier tank? I am happy that my hippo tang is getting along with him. My hippo tang was really pissed off the first day. His color would change and his top fins would stand up when he would get close to the sailfin tang. So far the sailfin seems to be a great fish. His fin span is huge and color is magnificent

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=21&pCatId=378

2. Click Here!

3. CheckMateKingll

CheckMateKingll Feather Duster

You have a rare type of Sailfin, Steve, I'm sure Craig can tell you all about it,,,
    Good Luck, bro

4. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

[glow=red, 2, 300]Steve,

You have the Red Sae species of Sailfin. Be sure to check and see if your SG and Salinity are to its liking. The Red Sea SG and Salinity is different from what you find in the Indo-Pacific, the species I have.

Yes they are beautiful fish and can hold their own.. Mine gets along well with a Convict and Kole tang in my tank. They can grow to 15" and do have that awesome "Sailfin" effect. Enjoy![/glow]

:) ;) :D ;D 8)

5. stevem650

stevem650 Astrea Snail

Hey Craig.....Is "SG and Salinity" the same? My salinity is at 1024. Thanks for the info.

6. Wrassman

Wrassman Peppermint Shrimp

SteveM,

Those are great Tangs. I'm not a big Zebrasoma sp. fan, but the Purple Tang and the Sailfin Tang are alright. Just keep the yellows are far away from me as you can. [smiley=hammer.gif]

On the SG or Specific Gravity, I would go with the higher end of the scale that LiveAquaria.com gives you. They say "sg 1.020-1.025," I'd want to keep mine up toward 1.025. I try to keep mine that high anyway (right now it is 1.024, and I don't want to change it because of my starfish).

Just get it to 024, SLOWLY, if it isn't there already, and your Tang will be in business. Otherwise, he might end up a little on the sickly side. [smiley=sick2.gif]

HTH !!!

7. stevem650

stevem650 Astrea Snail

8. Click Here!

9. Craig Manoukian

10. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

i really like the sailfins they are nice looking tangs.

your other tang showing some aggression i would say is normal. just ur putting another tang in its tank and its gonna show it whos the boss. it should calm down after a couple days

11. stevem650

stevem650 Astrea Snail

Both Tangs are doing great. My Hippo now accepts my sailfin and they now swim side by side. :)

12. Craig Manoukian

[glow=red, 2, 300]My tangs are the three amigos. Glad yours have buddied up![/glow]

:) ;) :D ;D 8)