Safe ways to remove fish?

Discussion in 'General Freshwater Information' started by busterrudyGO!, Nov 18, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. busterrudyGO!

busterrudyGO! Plankton

I have some goldfish and their tank gets really gross. I do a 1/3 water change every week and a full tank clean -- where I take everything out and clean it. I've been trying to find a good way to catch the fish because I don't like the net. I feel like its scratchy and it's disturbing to see them flop around in there before I get them into the temporary bowl. Has anyone got any clever ideas?
    Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

You can "shew" "shoo" "shoe" (nicely spook) them into a specimen container/bowl/something.

4. busterrudyGO!

busterrudyGO! Plankton

Hey there in Sun River. You know, I've tried scooping them into a Tupperware container -- But they're on to me! They scurry around so much I am afraid of squishing them against the side of the tank with the edge of the bowl. I was hoping there was some sort of magic net thats more like a clear baggy -- kinda like what they use at the fish store. I haven't seen anything like that to buy, however. Thanks!

5. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Taking "everything" out to clean can be bad even for a goldfish tank.......... I'd leave em' while doing water changes.........

6. fielding12

fielding12 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I was wondering as I read whether I was doing it all wrong because I leave the goldfish in. I use a siphon to remove the old water and then I pour change water in.

If I need to clean the walls of the tank, then I do it with fish in being careful not to squash them while I clean. I know, one would have to be very klutzy to have those problems, but I have to take exactly those kind of precautions.

I stir the substrate regularly to get debris up and into the filtration.

Each week the ammonia and NO3 NO4 are very high, but they are goldfish and they are fine. The tank always looks pristine but I do weekly water tests and know that water changes are required weekly.

I think this procedure is working for the goldfish. If you think I should be doing it differently, please let me know.

7. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

How often are you cleaning the filtration. If you are having high ammonia and nitrate problems this could be the cause. With fish as dirty as gold fish I would clean them once a week and probably replace one cartridge every two weeks. Remember when you clean the filters use water from in the tank not tap water. Tap water can kill the benifitial bacteria off. Can we get some specifics about your tank and filtration?

8. Click Here!

9. manta975

manta975 Plankton

I saw it is a goldfish tank, i have a 30 gallon with a 55 gallon hang on the back filter and a small 10 gallon filter running in it and occasionally put in a very small holed filter, my water stays spotless.

Also try getting a plastic bag remove the sealing thing on the top poke some small holes all around it then get some wire wrap the end of the bag around the wire in a circle so it will stay on or glue it with a safe glue, then just add a stick to the end and you have a smooth clear net.

I hope you understand what i am trying to say it would seem alot simpler if you can get an image in your head.

10. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

I've found that a clear tupperware container works really well. Not the cloudy clear ones but the ones you can see straight through like a plastic bag. I distract my fish with a little food near the front and then gently bring the tupperware up. Works 99% of the time for me.

11. SusanFish

SusanFish Plankton

How about upgrading to a bigger tank? It seems to me that your tank is too small for your "some" goldfish... Ideally you'd have to perform a 10-20% water change or less once a week without cleaning everything. As mentioned above - siphoning should be used instead.

When I ran an overcrowded tank I simply added another filter. Then I learned not to overpopulate the tank and I rather keep less fish.

Just my opinion...

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2011
  12. ReefPlayground

ReefPlayground 3reef Sponsor

I generally use my hand or a fish collection cut to scoop out sensitive fish. BTW, I wouldnt be taking taking everything out of your system and cleaning it on a regular basis, you're killing off a good portion of your biological filtration and causing the system to "re-cycle". I would recommend jsut doing larger water changes/gravel vacuuming.