Urgent safe to add the fish?

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by billyboy2, Dec 5, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. billyboy2

billyboy2 Coral Banded Shrimp

I tore my 55G reef apart last night, in search of a predator...pericelis sp.

I found a few of them by dunking the LR in FW for 10-15 seconds..along with a couple fireworms, fat bristle worms and some other type of worm very similar looking to the bristle worm but a shinny metallic gold color?!?

anyways, everything from my DT except the substrate is in rubbermaid totes with air stones and little aqua clear filters for come circulation.

the substrate was tossed unfortunatly because these worms seems to live in it an in the LR. I had crushed coral substrate mixed with coarse aragonite and it looked terrible. I also couldnt control the hair algae growing on the substrate...nothing on the LR though. So...i am replacing it with the caribsea sugar sand aragamax or whatever they call it.

I have my DT half full with the substrate added. I did not wash or rinse it because i have a mixed reef so that would be a waste of some free additives that i'd be dosing for anyhow.
    i have my canister filter running with a nylon legging tied around to buffer out some of the dust. Is it safe to add my LR and fish if my salinity is right and temp is good? will the fish or corals care about the suspended cloud that is in tank or should i hold off?? Its not terrible but i'd assume i will make a bigger mess of it once i start to add the rock and fish.

any suggestions on the process....Crushed coral was mess free for the most part...

2. Click Here!

3. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

I would continue to fill the tank(not all the way as your LR will displace some water.) Allow the tank to clear for a day or two before putting the fish back in.Also when you dipped your LR you killed almost all of the bacteria needed so expect at least a mini cycle to occur.

4. billyboy2

billyboy2 Coral Banded Shrimp

well my fuge has about 10 lbs that was un touched and i didn't dip every piece from the DT, just the ones with holes all through them.

Thanks for the tip

I dont feel very good about keeping them in the totes for a day or two cause i have to constantly monitor the temp in each tote and switch up heaters and airstones as i dont have enough of each to go around.

I think if i add my LR and get the water level correct then begin the overflow from my DT into my fuge/sump it should clear up really fast. Do this sound like a bad idea??? then after it clears up a bit add the live stock?

5. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Sounds fine.Its better then leaving them in totes with no heater or aeration.;)