Safe "Non-Aquarium Intended" Epoxies (per manufacturer).

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Renee@LionfishLair, Jan 12, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ynzheng

ynzheng Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I use IC-Gel and it works like charm...

2. Click Here!

3. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

Not exactly the same thing we're talking about here.....

4. Pickupman66

Pickupman66 Tassled File Fish

Interesting.. Safe only after 24 hours yet it is used for coral propogation? what do you guys use for this? I may consider switching instead of the Super glue gel to affix some hard to glue specimens. I would want a product I can make up and then put the frag into and then put it in the water before the coral suffers.

Incidentally, here is the MSDS for the Oatey product

5. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

In some cases, what's suggested is to mix some putty as above, then press the coral into it to make the shape. Press the other side onto the rock. Then, wait for it to harden (and cool down, the stuff gets hot), and superglue the coral onto the putty, then the putty onto the rock.

For the small SPS frags, I just straight superglued them to the rocks and let them eventually grow over and adhere themselves in the process, while for the LPS stuff I used straight epoxy.

When the manufacturers of these putties say "safe after 24 hours,", they're doing it for CYA reasons. These putties release chemicals into the water as they cure, but those chemicals really only effect skimmer performance.