Safe "Non-Aquarium Intended" Epoxies (per manufacturer).

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Renee@LionfishLair, Jan 12, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PetMother

PetMother Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Thanks! This saves me a ton of headaches :)

2. Click Here!

3. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

Your Welcome.

Is there any other brand names out there besides Oatey now? I originally inquired about this in 2006 for the different brands I ran across at various places at that time. I'm going to check all the stores again and see whats new out there.

I will keep you updated.

4. M-Ocean Man

M-Ocean Man Flame Angel

Agreed 100% - the companies find it is far safer to make these blanket statements so that when someone calls in and says "your product killed my $3000000000.00 coral and I want compensation" - they simply have to verify that you are literate and they are covered. (on a side note, you can be illiterate and they will still get away with it not being their fault with a disclaimer).

5. robl45

robl45 Flamingo Tongue

we just set up a tank two weeks ago and glued the rocks with waterweld from home depot. so far no problems.

6. Renee@LionfishLair

Dam. Oatey's not bitting. "They wouldn't risk it". I was hoping to add them to the list.

7. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Oatey Clear PVC cement is all I use on my plumbing. Never knew they had a 2 part putty. DFS sells the clear pvc and abs cement but it looks like they are putting it on clearance.

8. Click Here!

9. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Like I said before, I couldn't care less what they say. I used about 7 tubes in my tank, all uncured (freshly mixed) when I put it in; I'd be completely and utterly screwed at this point if it weren't safe.

10. Renee@LionfishLair

I'm not saying it's not safe.... this is just a list of manufacturer approved epoxies. Some people don't like to use products unless they "really know"... this list is for them. I guess I always figured if a product I know is safe is sitting on the shelf next to those I don't know about.... I'm going to play it safe in those instances.

11. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Just to put in perspective how much is sitting in my tank:

DSCN0307.JPG

12. Renee@LionfishLair

I don't doubt it is safe. But this thread was about manufactures I emailed and what they had to say.

But I'll honestly say, if I had both products in my hands, I would go with the one where the manufacturer said was safe.... not the one where the manufacturer said it may not be. If there are equally accessible choices, I would choose the one I "know" was safer.

I'm going to email them again and show them the MSDS of the other epoxies and see if they think their product is vastly different than the others in the areas it counts. Maybe they will be willing to concede.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011