sadly no doubt Ich has hit my Flame Angel, (update 1)

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Swisswiss, Sep 27, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sucker_fish

sucker_fish Astrea Snail

hahah are you by any chance from minnesota, michigan, or the general area?

2. Click Here!

3. Reef4life

Reef4life Feather Duster

The best method would be the Hyposalinity, the copper would be a no-no in your tank even if you remove you LR I would be worried that your live sand also absorbs some of the copper and then slowly leeches it out. The garlic is just to entice your fish to keep eating and hence providing them the strength to fight out the ich.. nonetheless it is not a cure but it def helps if you soak it in garlic before you feed.
    You can never get completely rid of ich in your tank, the only thing you can do is keeping the fish happy and with no stress so they wont be as susceptible to getting ICH.
    Another thing that might have helped in your flame getting ich, was perhaps overpopulation in your tank ( i am not saying it is so) just for my personal experience when the fish gets stressed because of territory issues or because its being harassed by a more aggressive fish it was more common for them to get it. Just my two cents ;)

4. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

alright thx people....i have a long week ahead of me but ill keep you posted. first step is finding a proper box. AND TO THOSE WHO STUMBLE UPON THIS THREAD WITH THE SAME ISSUE AS ME, THIS IS THE FUNDAMENTAL LESSON I LEARNT FROM THIS........QUARANTINE, ITS A MUST!!!

5. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

Yes it is used to help boost their immune system. I suggested that while they are in the QT tank with the hypo salinity.

6. Foreverfishy

Foreverfishy Purple Spiny Lobster

7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Marine Ich - Myths and Facts

http://www.3reef.com/forums/fish-diseases/life-cycle-marine-ich-96343.html

Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part I by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

http://www.3reef.com/forums/tropical-fish/ich-gone-122883.html

Good luck to you. Some research and home work. Honestly it's really the only way to effectively battle and understand marine ich.

I am pretty sure what people will remember about me most is what a nag I am about this particular topic.

8. Click Here!

9. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

read most of those threads and articels but thank you for the extra info always better to know more than less. im just worried about keeping my fish in a box for 8 weeks, its a hell of a long time. i would be tempted to raise my water temp to near 30 °C (86 °f)in my DT to speed the ich cycle but i fear for my mushrooms, torch, toadstool, ricordeas and especially my bubble tips

ontop of this i have to leave for the army for about 4 weeks from end of November till the 9th of December.

only have (if everything goes smoothly) weekend leave. making hypo treatment damn difficult. i swear if s*&% hits the fan it has to hit always at the WORST moment.

think i can tackle the issue when i come back on the 9th? or might it be 2 late?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  10. brunoboarder244

brunoboarder244 Torch Coral

best bet is to get some kind of plastic tupperware, prefferably with some of the sides blacked out so it causes less stress on the fish and run copper in it and then either raise the temp in the tank with corals or get a seperate tupperware and place your LR/corals in there and then raise the tank temp and do hypo in the dt....if it does kill off the bacteria in your substrate once you re add your LR it should start coming back to life

11. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Raising the temperature does nothing but maybe speed up the reproductive cycle, it does not kill marine ich. It may fall of the fish faster but it's still present and reproducing in the substrate you just can no longer visualize it.

Raising the temperature is a treatment for freshwater ich. Marine ich is a completely different organism.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  12. brunoboarder244

brunoboarder244 Torch Coral

+1 i meant to say heat it up to shorten its cycle but somehow forgot to add it in...i read a lot of articles on marine ick when i first got my 20 hex

1 person likes this.