Sad day for my reef :(

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by oldfishkeeper, Mar 16, 2016.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

Well, it appears that somehow velvet or ich got my tank and has wiped out all of my fish except for my two clowns who are not looking good. I had added a kole tang about a month ago and it died, it was fine for about two weeks and then *poof* - gone. So, it must have been harboring the disease that spread quickly. I didn't have that many fish but I had had most for at least 2 years so sad day for my tank :( and, if anyone needs another example of why you should quarantine........

I'm going to have to do a really thorough cleaning and a couple of really big water changes in the next month. I'm going away next Saturday for a week and hubby will be in charge of the tank. It's kind of tempting to maybe throw in the towel but I won't. I'm going to visit recommended places in Orlando right before I fly back home so that will give me some good motivation I'm sure.

2. Click Here!

3. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

So sorry to hear OFK, we went through that a couple years back and it was heart breaking. This will be a good opportunity to make any changes to the tank that you want but it really stinks under the circumstances. I have a feeling your tank will be better than ever.

4. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

Come back and make your reef better then it already was. That's what I'm doing with my coral right now. Keep saying that to yourself.

5. Reefbuilder

Reefbuilder Scooter Blennie

6. Oryo

Oryo Feather Duster

So sorry to hear what happen

oldfishkeeper likes this.
  7. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Sorry to hear.

8. Click Here!

9. Servillius

Servillius Montipora Digitata

That's just terrible and dispiriting. Hang in there through it.

oldfishkeeper and DSC reef like this.
  10. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Sorry to hear. A buddy went through it.

Coral will be fine and if you have fish still, remove them, QT them, and treat them.

Then let hour tank sit fallow for a few months before reintroduction.

11. Lovemyreef2015

Lovemyreef2015 Flamingo Tongue

I know what you are going through. It is hard to see something you work so hard to make great crumble in front of your eyes.. Stay confident and things will turn around, sometimes even better. ( is what I tell my husband all the time with his reef ) I'm sorry about your fish. :(

oldfishkeeper and DSC reef like this.
  12. Seacurchin

Seacurchin Astrea Snail

Been there. It blows. I lost a lot of live stock. A few weeks prior I had a pair of breeding clowns. I gave them to a friend's facility who raised the fry. When he heard I lost most of my fish including my clowns,he gave me a pair. Point is.....when something that sucks happens? There's always something good to balance in its place. Get well soon .