Sad and Blue Zo's

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by Oyvay, Mar 14, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Oyvay

Oyvay Plankton

I have a 120-gallon reef that's been going for a year and all of the corals from open brains to pagodas to leathers, etc. are doing great. I have a rainbow of zoanthids including protos and palys which are doing great and spreading.  Just one is a problem...a nice pink colony of palythoas that has some polyps that don't open.  There's a bluish film on those that looks something like a cyano but not that dark reddish color - this is blue...really blue.  I regularly blow around them with a turkey baster and I have them in fairly high flow, but once that blue is on a polyp it seems to lead to it's destruction and it keeps on happening, a few polyps at a time. Anyone know what this is and what to do about it??

2. Click Here!

3. pdlman

pdlman Astrea Snail

Do a perixide dip-you can get the info off of RC. It is similar to the white fungus on zoanthids. You might loose the whole colony but if you don't dip it will spread to your other colonies. I know from experience! Good Luck

4. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

RC?? I didn't see this on the acronyms page. Maybe oyva doesn't know what it means either...
    Jim

5. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

6. Oyvay

Oyvay Plankton

I'm concerned that even if I do the peroxide washes, the rock and water would have this pathogen in it and it would just re-infest the zoanthid once it's back in the tank. I have it under a high flow and it seems to be holding its own.

Oh, and RC is Reef Central.

7. pdlman

pdlman Astrea Snail

Do you have other zoanthid type corals? It will spread! Do the dip, it will kill all the bacteria on the rock and on the polyps-also run some purigen or carbon. A dip cant hurt-if you typed in white fungus on RC you can see the horror pics. Good luck either way