?s on setting up the cichlid tank

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by Sadie, Mar 6, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. chumslickjon

chumslickjon Purple Spiny Lobster

No. Look up callochromis. I've seen a few different species at the pet store, but never got into them since I dont have sand. Mbunas seem to grow pretty large, at least the ones I have. I'm sure you can get away with them in that tank though. Cichlids like bottom space, and you have a lot of that with the long tank. They do like to dig.

2. Click Here!

3. Sadie

Sadie Coral Banded Shrimp

I am only looking at the mbunas that are semi aggresive and grow no more than 4". that does exclude a lot of them, but I have found enough and they are the colors I like.

I think I am going with carib Sea Ecco-Complete. I like the color and it maintains the PH.:)

4. chumslickjon

Good luck, they're a fun fish to watch.

5. Sadie

Thanks,

Now that I have narrowed down my fish, know the sand I want, I need to figure out what I want for rock. If I get the rock that helps with PH, along with the sand that helps with PH, do you think my PH will be too high?

The PH from my tap is 7.8

the fish I am looking at like 7.8-8.6

6. chumslickjon

I don't think it would get too high unless you dumped a container of baking soda in the tank. Personally, I have trouble getting the PH high and mine is the same right out of the tap as yours.

1 person likes this.
  7. Sadie

Oh o,k. I'm not adding any fish for a while after I get the tank all together just to make sure it dosen't recycle

Thanks