S-120 Economy Cone Skmr Review(Final Review w/ vid)

Discussion in 'Eshopps Inc.' started by reefmonkey, Jul 18, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

An update. The tank now has a few SPS, LPS, polyps and 4 blue/green chromis. The skimmer is now working with what I'd call a very light bio-load.

2. Click Here!

3. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

After a few months I've reached the end of this review.

The Eshopps S-120 Economy Cone Skimmer has not only met but exceded my expectations.
    This tank now has a substantial bio-load. Most would say it is over stocked, all would say it is overfed. There are a total of 11 fish that are fed 4 small meals a day. The skimmer combined with the macro algae in the fuge keep NO3 and PO34 undetectable by hobby grade kits.
    Nuisance algae has never been an issue. Those that know my tank and livestock might claim that the Urchins keep the HA in check but they wouldn't be able to explain why the left-over hair algae died off in a covered overflow box where the urchins and snails can't get access.

If you want a great skimmer that will perform, there's no need to break the bank to get it. Eshopps provides a big line of HOB, In-sump, and In-sump cone skimmers that are very affordable.

[​IMG]

4. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

I realize this thread is a few months old, but this is a pretty funny statement.... If I had a Benz as a first car... that would be bad how????

In every hobby there are different price points for all involved... some would see a Eshops cone as being expensive, some not. There are very good budget... sorry "economy" skimmers on the market that perform well... but I would like to know all those "high end" skimmers out there that don't work and all the poor beginners have to replace with another skimmer... when you say high end you are talking BK, ATB, Deltech, WM and a few others... all very high quality, and very well performing skimmers. Those that buy them know full well there are less expensive skimmers on the market.

And every one new to the hobby knows full well it is a very expensive hobby. Yes you can have a glass box with some salt water in it for pretty cheap... but even doing DIY and going econo it is still an expensive hobby for what it is... a glass box with salt water and fish in it.

Not at all disparaging your skimmers, or different price points, or that there can be well performing products in all price points, just found your bias to be pretty disingenuous.

5. Thor

Thor Coral Banded Shrimp

Hey ReefMonkey...I am considering this skimmer and just was wondering about how easy you felt it was to get dialed in? Was it a bit touchy, or a piece of cake?

6. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Once it broke in getting it set was a snap and running wet to dry or any where in between is cake. This is a great skimmer!

7. basicinstinct91

basicinstinct91 Plankton

So is this pump quiet? I had the psk-600 on my Octopus Extreme and sent it back it was soo loud even after break in

8. Click Here!

9. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

I never hear this pump running.

10. dee99gt

dee99gt Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I actually bought my cone after seeing this thread. Was a great help!!

11. mrdcook

mrdcook Plankton

12. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Yeah.

This Skimmer still kicks ass and Eshopps leads the industry in affordable quality equipment.
    I just did maintenance but I can get some pics or video of the effluent this skimmer is still producing.