S-120 Economy Cone Skmr Review(Final Review w/ vid)

Discussion in 'Eshopps Inc.' started by reefmonkey, Jul 18, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. eshopps

eshopps 3reef Sponsor

[​IMG]

The Sicce Italy pump produces really fine bubbles, worth every penny.

2. Click Here!

3. BoBo65

BoBo65 Torch Coral

thats def interesting, I might be leaning towards one of these for my next skimmer... and the footprint is so appealing I like that its small yet effective :D

1 person likes this.
  4. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

I'm excited to get it set up and show the break in.

Man that is making a bunch of foam! Can't wait to see it for myself.

5. lynnmw1208

lynnmw1208 Skunk Shrimp

WOW that is pulling some nice stuff!! Kind of wish mine would break haha! Some day I will have this skimmer!! (or at least it's bigger brother)

6. dahenley

dahenley Plankton

I really like that new pump on the skimmer.

In regurads to drilling the cup for a drain line.... i wouldnt do it...
    if the cup is full, chances are that the neck is nasty.
    when the neck gets a film of goo/poo on it, the performance of the skimmer goes down. (almost significantly) So, when the cup is half way full or full, chances are the neck as a 1/4in layer of gunk which is killing the performance.

a test is to let the skimmer run for a week. place a strip of blue painters tape vertically on the cup. every day at around the same time place a mark on the tape. this will let you know how much it is pulling every day. (you will see a decrease in performance throughout the week) and this has nothing to do with how full the cup is.

now, take the cup and peal the tape off (mark where the bottom and top of the cup are on the tape to ensure proper measurments.)
    rinse the cup and place it on the skimmer (never turn the pumps off, just let it overflow for the time being) you will see a huge jump in the last measurment with the nasty neck verses the clean cup. almost double to tripple the gunk pulled.
    this is why you should just clean the cup and not drain it.....

just my thoughts and experiences.

Hows the cone running now. any new pictures after break in?

7. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Good advice. You learn something new everyday even after being in the hobby for years. Thanks.

I haven't finished setting up the system it's going into yet. I'll start filling it tomorrow and will use a couple cups of sand from my 90g to jump the cycle.

8. Click Here!

9. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

No pictures but the skimmer was so easy to put together and get set up in the sump. It's not running yet of course but will be soon.

10. BoBo65

BoBo65 Torch Coral

man I love the way it looks and the footprint is nice and small but its twice the price of my coralife :p

11. eshopps

eshopps 3reef Sponsor

coralife, hey almost everyone started this hobby with a coralife skimmer and eventually move up slowly.

12. BoBo65

BoBo65 Torch Coral

rofl that comment absolutely made my day coming from an eshopps rep hahaha I love it, that right there makes me want to upgrade to your guys skimmer:biggrinbo:lol::thumb_up::lol::biggrinbo