Rust vs. Flame- caught the Rust!...** Update, RIP Rust Angel

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by Todd_Sails, Aug 13, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

My rust Angel has been giving my Flame Angel H*ll lately.

once, just once, I caught the Rust in my net up by the corner while he was harrassing the flame. But as I tried to take it out, so happy I"d caught him, he slipped between the glass and the net, and was gone.

So lately, he still harrasses him up by the corner.

But, every time I get up slowly to go over there to try again, he just swims back to the rocks!
    He knows I'm trying to get him!

At this time, I wish he were not quite so smart, so I could catch him and put him in my sump.
    I could easily catch the flame, he seems like he'd love to go, but I want to get the aggressor, not the victum.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  2. Click Here!

3. jbraslins

jbraslins Teardrop Maxima Clam

Out of all possible ways to catch pesky fish amongst rocks, I been most successful with a large zip-lock bag (2 gallon size).

I place it on the sand in the "high traffic" area and use a few rubble rocks to keep it down and expanded. Since it's transparent, fish just swim into it. No bait needed.

It's also easy to form for weird shaped areas, where traps and coke bottles don't fit well.

1 person likes this.
  4. OnlyTono

OnlyTono Spaghetti Worm

they defiantly do have a memory and are pretty smart.

I once had a small group of blue chromis where one for them basically bullied all the rest to the point hat he actually killed one, and almost killed the other he rest, I was able to save one. Long story short, I was able to save the one that wasn't dead and put him in my refugium to recover.

After about month he made a full recovery, and I was able to catch the other chromis (that's a whole other story) ad put the formally injured one back in the display.

After a while, he developed aggression as well especially toward new fish - the only way to clam him down was to put the plastic fish trap into the tank. he would swim in there and instantly relax. Must of felt like home :)

5. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

How do you get the baggie closed on him? And the trap?

I even stood on my stairs, which are behind my DT, and almost got him again, and instantly, that won't work either.

Todd

6. jbraslins

i usually quickly approach tank and stick my hand in water from the side of the bag where opening is. fish darts in opposite direction (deeper in bag) and fights it for a while while i just lift bag up. as bag lifts, it narrows/closes and fish trys to swim down and away, further into bag.

7. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

I'll try it, I don't see this little buggar staying in the bag, even if I put my hand on the opening side. I will give it a try.

8. Click Here!

9. jbraslins

larger the bag, the easier it is. get 2 gallon zip lock.

10. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

do share if this works Todd!

11. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

I have caught quite a few fish using my Acclimate box from Reef Gently. As long as it eats prepared foods, it is very easy. I just use a baster to squirt food into the box, wait for the fish I want to enter, and let go of the string :) Has worked on everything, except my Lawnmower Blenny and Flame Angel (neither would go near it).

12. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Thanks, the favorite lfs of serious reefers in town has a trap he lends for free.

I'm going to try the large ziplock tomorrow.
    Then hopefully I'll get back with the success.