Running a skimmer on a Nano Tank?

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by NanaReefer, Nov 21, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

I'm looking for any and all info on those out here running a skimmer on their nano tanks. Tanks under 40g. What skimmer are you using and where do you have it placed?

At the moment I'm running the Reef Octopus NS 80 nano skimmer. I'm not very happy with it. It's very noisy still, after 7 months :( It runs very wet, no matter how much tweaking I do. I've raised it up, down and all around :)
    I've got it placed inside my CPR HOB Aquafuge and am wondering if this has anything to do with it's performance?

I've read the reviews on the AquaticLife nano 115 but all have been placed in tank. I'm looking at getting one but am hesitant because of my only placement option. Which is in my fuge. Lights wont allow me to place it in tank. Anyone else running the aquafuge with a skimmer?

2. Click Here!

3. Inertiatic

Inertiatic Bubble Tip Anemone

I've been running the hydro slim skim nano for two weeks now. Started producing skim mate in a day and is pretty quiet. The only issue ive had is micro bubbles so far. Everytime I adjust it or move it around, they come in full force. Everyday though they lessen, so hopefully they disappear soon.

I also have it placed in my tank in the corner. It's really sleek and with my black background, it's not incredibly noticeable.

4. SnooknRedz

SnooknRedz Vlamingii Tang

I have aquatic life mini115. Its not bad. I have seen a decrease in performance over a year (bought it in dec. early jan last year) The skimmate isnt that gunky and more, idk but its still running and making some performance. Im not really concerned because in my 20 my weekly water changes are more than likely removing the sh¡t to skim before the skimmer gets a chance.

Like Inertiatic says the slim skim nano seems to be one of the better nano skimmers out there.. I was considering purchasing one a while back. I may get it now that im thinking about it... lol. Check out Mr.Salts... "sexy" tank, hes running it on there. Check it out

5. booge1969

booge1969 Flamingo Tongue

i have a fluval edge running a sump under it, and i have a aqua c urchin skimmer. i works great with no problems

6. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

7. reefer Dave

reefer Dave Astrea Snail

How 'bout a CPR BakPak? I think it will fit in the hang-on refug. I've heard only good things about them.

8. Click Here!

9. chappy85

chappy85 Coral Banded Shrimp

Have you looked at the Tunze 9002?
    I havent used one but have heard really good things about it.
    I'm hoping to redo my nano next year and was thinking of adding either one of those or the Hydor slim skim nano.

10. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Currently I do not run a skimmer and have not for over a 1 1/2 years.

The best nano skimmer I have ever used on a tank that size was a Tunze 9002.

11. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

were you able to put that in the back of your 28 g nano?

12. ilikespam

ilikespam Feather Duster

Im using a oceanic biocube skimmer and it seems to be working great.Its what i have left from my 20g tank.I have it in my sump and it gets me a cup of skimmate a day.I got it on ebay for like 20 bucks.Its also easy to tune in to work properly.