Rtn????

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Camkha1234, May 2, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Camkha1234

Camkha1234 Great Blue Whale

I have a Strawberry Shortcake Acro that seemed to be doing well at first. I've noticed within the past week that the base is becoming white and it's starting to reach the main branch. Is there anything I can do at this point? All of my other corals, including Acros, are doing fine.

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

At this point... not much.

RTN or Rapid Tissue Necroses is extremely fast.... can be less than a day. Yours has lasted a week, so probably not RTN.

That said, look for anything that might be bugging it. Did you dip it for pests? Is there an LPS near it? A leather near it? Any of these things can cause your coral to freak out.

It looks like you have a little cyano on your rockwork next to the frag, which normally means a low flow area. You can try moving the frag to a higher flow area and see if that helps..... not direct flow, but med/high flow.

4. Camkha1234

It was dipped when I got it. There is a Duncan near it, but I doubt that would affect it. Those are actually diatoms, as the tank recently finished its cycle. It's a 45 gallon with a wp25, so there's lots of flow in the tank.

5. Ashevillian

Ashevillian Pajama Cardinal

I have had losses of SPS due to RTN and I believe it was because of my "devils hand" leather coral or possibly the kenya tree. Any suggestions on what I should do with these two corals?

Sorry not trying to hijack! FWIW when I had RTN my entire corals tissue had basically melted off, within 8 hours or so the entire stylophora spp was nothing but bones :(((

6. jonjonwells

It is very possible to run SPS in a leather tank, I do, and very well. Running carbon in a reactor is key IMO. The carbon helps pull out all the toxins that are released for the chemical warfare. I could always tell when my carbon was running low on compacity. My SPS just wouldn't look "right".

7. Camkha1234

Things aren't looking too hopeful. Should I frag what I can?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399139197.542635.jpg

8. Click Here!

9. jonjonwells

I would say at this time, yes. make sure to cut far enough up to get into healthy coral. You do not want any of the dead on your frag.

10. Camkha1234

Alright I was able to save one branch that is about an inch long. The rest was completely white. The surviving piece is in an iodine dip and will be superglued back into the tank. I'll update as things progress.

11. Ashevillian

Ashevillian Pajama Cardinal

Sorry for your loss man! What I do not understand is, how will fragging off a piece of a coral that is already dying stop the issue? Just confused on why this would happen to Camkha1234 in the first place.

12. Camkha1234

Apparently it doesn't help much. A third of the little piece I saved is white now. It's too bad, I had a lot of hope for this piece when I bought it.