Resolved Royal Gramma

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Fresh2Salt, Nov 6, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Fresh2Salt

Fresh2Salt Feather Duster

Ive noticed the last couple of days that my royal gramma has like white lose skin on his side and by his gills and he is scraping up against the rocks and sand bed and breathing heavy :confused:

Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  2. Click Here!

3. Bloodkip

Bloodkip Ritteri Anemone

Tanks stats?
    Maybe he has ich or lack of oxygen.

4. Fresh2Salt

I don't think its ich ... Isn't ich white spots??? this looks like loose skin ... How do you tell if there's not enough oxygen??

5. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Sounds more like Velvet. This, unfortunately is a fast destroying disease. Remove the fish promptly.

6. Fresh2Salt

I don't have any other fish in the tank yet only a shrimp, hermit crab, and some sails ... Will this affect the others in the tank... Can I just let him die on his own if hes going to or do I need to get him out?

7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

If you have no other fish, then I would just let nature take it's course if you think he is dying and see no other hope. The tank is exposed, I would however let the tank sit for awhile or try to track down the cause to the royal grammas problems. Could be anything, from parasites to nutrition problems. As always a picture helps a lot.

Good Luck.

8. Click Here!

9. Fresh2Salt

Thanks.... but its hard enough to get a pic of this little guy... My wife has taken the camera out of town for the weekend so no pics anytime soon all I have is my phone and those pics stink unless the object is completely still... I will watch him. he was eating Tigger pods like crazy yesterday so I thought he might have just scraped his side on the rocks while sleeping but I'm not sure whats going on with him

10. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

O.k. They do like to hide and sleep in caves and crevices and it could have simply scraped itself. Infection is the concern. If it is eating good and still holding its' own, go out and get some Stresszyme or other product to heal and replace the fishes slime coat. I have always done that for my fish when they get nicks and scrathches.

11. Flaring Afro

Flaring Afro Purple Spiny Lobster

You could try putting Melafix in maybe. Petsmart carries it.

Melafix® - API

12. Atticus818

Atticus818 Eyelash Blennie

Sounds like bacterial infection to me, but hard to say without pics. I would try Melafix if he is not too far gone, but IMHO under dose slightly for better results.