Royal Gramma acting a bit weird

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by Scubagator87, Nov 19, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Scubagator87

Scubagator87 Skunk Shrimp

So i've had my Gramma for about 2 or 3 weeks now and hes been behaving kind of strange for the past few days. He's started rubbing himself on the protein skimmer, at first it wasn't that frequent but now hes doing it alot more. The first thing I thought was Ich, but I've been looking and can't see any white specks at all. Hes not really hanging out in his cave like usual (starting late afternoon to now) and has taken to kind of perching in the corner; it almost looks like he's tilted but it could be the slope of the sand. I just think its weird because they prefer subdued lighting. I just fed them and he ate pretty readily, nothing different there. Could this still be ich? I dont really know what to make of it. My QT isn't fish ready at the moment and I probably won't be able to make it that way until late tomorrow.

2. Click Here!

3. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

Royal Grammas are luckily fairly ick resistant, they make great beginner fish. Him hiding is what they naturally do, so that is of no concern. As for the flashing, he could have had a couple parasites on him that he was trying to dislodge, but all you can do is keep a good eye on him as you are doing. If you'd like to be proactive and put him in a QT great but remember this, the parasites will STILL be in the water when he returns so he COULD get reinfected. If it was my fish, I would leave him in at least for now.

Good luck

1 person likes this.
  4. ajsailling944

ajsailling944 Plankton

Joe is right on with that. I had a fish that would get ick everytime I put him into my dt. When I would take him out and put him into the ot he would be fine in one day. Hopefully your grama will be fine. I have had one before that did the same thing when I put him in my tank and he turned out fine unlike the other fish.

1 person likes this.
  5. Scubagator87

Scubagator87 Skunk Shrimp

hmm, thanks for the input guys. I was thinking of letting him be anyway since it would be pretty hard to get him out. He looks pretty good today, hopefully everything will be fine.