Royal Gamma

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by Oryo, Oct 1, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Oryo

Oryo Feather Duster

I have a FOWLR 36 gallon corner bowfront tank. I currently have 1 flame angel, 1 gold band maroon clownfish, 1 yellowtail damsel & 1 bicolor blenny. The kids are trying to talk me into getting a royal gamma for our tank but I'm not sure. Would the RG have problems since it's an established tank with the critters already set up camp in the tank?

I've had a royal gamma many, many years ago and never had a problem but I had a bigger tank back then. This tank has plenty of rocks and caves to hide in but just want to ask the Elders here for advice???

2. Click Here!

3. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

I would say yes.There is sure to be trouble.You are maxed out imo.Teach the kids it is not fair to the animals to overcrowd them.:)

Billme likes this.
  4. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

hmmm......I'm sure you didn't mean to ask me the question - I'm looking around for some elders :)

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I will raise my hand at being an elder. :(

Royal Grammas are in my top 3 favorite fish. They can be extremely timid and spend the majority of their time in their bolt hole initially, I have heard some people say they never see their Royal Gramma. I have had a couple out going ones but still on the passive timid side. A Maroon clown might be too intimidating, especially a long established Maroon Clown. Yellow Tail Damsel as well is another fish with a strong personality. In a bigger tank with a lot of room for escape and different territories I would give it a try.

Vinnyboombatz and mdbostwick like this.
  6. Oryo

Oryo Feather Duster

Thanks for the responses.

I knew the tank would of crowded with an extra fish BUT the kids love the colors. I made them an offer to maybe trade in the clownfish but the kids decided to keep Nemo.

I'm hoping to upgrade in future so once I do we can add the RG..LoL

Corailline likes this.
  7. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

I love mine. Was just looking at him while feeding my tank. I rescued him about six months ago from a tank where it was getting picked on. Fins were all gone and was in terrible shape. He's alive and kicking like a champ! RoyalGramma.png

8. Click Here!

9. Oryo

Oryo Feather Duster

I had one on my 1st tank about 15+ years ago. I love their color and how they patrol their spot from other fishes.

I need a big tank again!

DSC reef likes this.