Royal dotty back or???

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Piano10, Feb 27, 2016.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Piano10

Piano10 Aiptasia Anemone

I currently have no fish in my 10g and was thinking of getting a royal dottyback.
    I would only house this fish as its a small tank

Is it safe with crabs and snails?

Or is there a damsel I could keep in a 10g?

We want a colourful fish or 2 fish depending on size and aggression

2. Click Here!

3. dub

dub Plankton

A good friend of mine has a Royal Gramma and a Black and White Ocellaris Clown fish in an 8 gallon tank with a bunch of coral, snails and hermits. I am assuming you are talking about either scarlet or blue legged hermit crabs. But I would be a little cautious depending on which damsel you choose unless it were a non aggressive Chromis as it could be aggressive with your second fish (depending on the type of that one as well).

4. Reef G

Reef G Plankton

Royal gramma's are great fish. Dwarf blue legged hermits are pretty cool too.
    I have 2 clownfish, royal grammar, green chromis and a yellow boxfish in my 30g and they all get on great

5. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

6. Reef G

Reef G Plankton

Boxfish are extremely slow growers/ swimmers, I don't really see a problem.... Yes, they can release a toxin when stressed, howevever my tank mates all get on fine and are very peaceful. I would understand your critisism if say I had a tang cramped in my aquarium. Have you ever had a boxfish or no why this is a "terrible" idea

7. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

wasnt criticizing buddy, was simply expressing my opinion...... my main concern in keeping these fish in smaller systems stems from the fact that they may not have enough rocks to "graze" on, may be out competed for food with faster/more aggressive fish and the whole toxin story...though you seem to have that covered....

Vinnyboombatz likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Reef G

Reef G Plankton

Thanks for your opinion, sorry if I came across as being snotty lol. All tank mates are doing fine atm. As for feeding the little guy to ensure he gets his fair share, I put the frozen food block in the aquarium still frozen which gives him plenty of time to get his fill as oppose to defrosting it first which I used to do. There are no issues in my tank over territory etc which is great and long may it continue. As for the growth rate, it really is slow. A friend of mine has had his boxfish for 2 years and it's 2" if that... As for mine, it's not even an inch yet.

Attached Files:

Swisswiss likes this.
  10. Piano10

Piano10 Aiptasia Anemone

Well I want to house the royal dottyback by itself as its really aggressive. I know it can go after shrimp but was concerned about hermits?

11. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

It will not harm your hermits but I think your tank is a tad small for one. The only other fish you would be able to add would be small gobies and your Dottyback would certainly harass them. How about a Neon Goby? They are very active and colorful.Yellow line gobies are fun too.

12. Piano10

Piano10 Aiptasia Anemone

Did some research, seems as long as its by itself in the 10g it should be good so the hubby got one.
    What a beauty.

"She" will be the only occupent in the tank besides cuc. We really only wanted the one fish