Rotter Tube Replace Filter Sock??

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Oryo, Mar 12, 2016.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Oryo

Oryo Feather Duster

I've been watching some video's on YouTube and found a guy who created a Rotter Tube that is suppose replace the use of filter sock. It makes cleaning so much easier the using a filter sock. I'm just curious to see what members here think?

He builds them out of 2" - 3" PVC and inserts a filter strip inside of about 2 "x 6" and connects it with 1" in place of filter sock. Then every 3-5 days he just pulls out the tube from sump, opens it, pulls out old dirty filter strip, inserts new strip & connects the tube back to sump. This way no need to wash and takes a few minutes.

I really like the idea but wondering if this would really work? I see it would work but not as great as a filter sock but you can save so much time & money in long run.

Any thoughts?

Here is the info he has posted:
    saltwater filtration system for aquarium. sump socks are a great way to filter saltwater aquarium water but I found a better way. cheaper, faster, cleaner! no washing machine required and no nasty sump socks to clean. ROTTER TUBE filters come in solid colors as well as a clear version so you can see what is going on. It works by connecting the ROTTER TUBE to your main overflow by simply pushing it on. Easy on, easy off. Unscrew the bottom and remove the filter media. Most filter floss or koi pond filtration or foam will work. The trick is to allow some water to flow on each side to allow for when the filter media expands. Remove this media and either rinse or replace every few days, as you would with a filter sock. There is built in overflow protection in the event you forget to change your media after a long time.

Here is the link to watch the video:

2. Click Here!

3. dub

dub Plankton

That is a cool idea, however, I think this newer version would be better. It's clear and has a built in overflow. It is 'reviewed' in this video:

I say 'reviewed' because it seems like these two guys are friends so it is cool that he is testing it out on his tank but I would take his endorsement with a grain of salt. It would be interesting to see how well this works. I think the clear version with the built in overflow would be a must because I feel like this product could have a huge potential of getting clogged and then flooding your tank.

Vinnyboombatz likes this.
  4. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

+1 Seems risky to me. Who needs a filter sock anyway?

civiccars2003 likes this.
  5. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

I like the mesh filter socks, mostly just to reduce bubbles.

6. Oryo

Oryo Feather Duster

I went off and bought clear pvc tube, cap, etc... I'm going to make it in clear with overflow & test it out.. This way I can keep an eye on it with the clear pvc.

I plan on making 2 of them, so I can just switch every 3-5 days. The total cost was under $30 for two of them including fliter pad that I can cut to size & bottom filter pad. Both are the same as in the video. I will put them together maybe over the weekend and give it a shot... Once I get it going I will give my review if its worth it or go back to filter sock.

7. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

not I vin

Vinnyboombatz likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Sarabjit

Sarabjit Plankton

Would it work in freshwater aquarium sump?