rotifer culture semi indoors

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by Swisswiss, Oct 12, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

so iv been reading and doing a little experimenting with my rotifers, im trying to figure out which method of culturing works best for me, if its batch or continuos, this has brought me to try something new out.

as i mentioned winter is at the door here so unless i want to suddenly freeze the entirety of my culture im going to have to find out a way of providing them with plenty of direct sunlight all while keep temp at a reasonable level.

i set up a little 1.5 gallon Jar/tank near my window in my room. in theory the jar should stay at room temp and get "plenty" of sunlight....

i expect the smell wont be wonderful but ill just have to deal with that....lady visitors are just going to have to sleep elsewhere.

ill let you guys know if it works for me.

depending on the result i may use this culture as the main feeding source or ill use it as my back up culture with which ill "seed" new ones...

if any of you have tried something similar in the past please do share your experiences and outcomes.

NOTE: the jar will have no air stone or heater

2. Click Here!

3. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

KABOOOMMMM!!!!!

Rotifers Rotifer Culture

im not going start digging massive holes in my garden and tossing abundant amounts of chicken poo in there but would a much smaller scale project work (poo aside...ill use phyto feed for my phytoplancton )?