rose anemone help

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by dellyjoe, Oct 6, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dellyjoe

dellyjoe Teardrop Maxima Clam

guys i just got a rose anemone

and it was looking fine until just about 4 mins ago, and it looks like the center is open, up.

does this mean it needs food?

Dellyjoe's 16g Nano week #3part2 - YouTube
    here is a video of it of when the anemone was fine

and my ph is low.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2012
  2. Click Here!

3. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

How long have you had the nem? Is the tank three weeks old? if so, it probably hasn't even finished cycling, which would be the root of your problem. DO NOT feed it at this point.

Params and what kind of lighting you have would help.

4. dellyjoe

i just got the rose anemone at a event today, and the tank is 4 weeks old, but i used my old rock/sand from my old tank, which means a little cycle.

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Initially an acclimating Anemone with a gapping oral opening is common.

If it continues to display an exaggerated oral opening for a couple days you should be concerned.

I agree it was probably too early to add an Anemone regardless of how you cycled the tank. With that said, BTA's are amazingly hardy, however you should still test the basic cycling parameters and do SMALL water changes for the next couple weeks IMO. Small as in 2 gallons, with SW that has been mixing for greater than 24 hours.

Give the tank another month or so before you add any more inverts or fish. It's a small tank and you are going to have to soft cycle it or else you will begin to loose things.

Moved to------Inverts.

6. dellyjoe

so Corailline when a anemone displays exaggeration this, means that it is showing that this is his place, and just saying the legs got really really small, is this also normal. like i got scarred that, it was going to die

7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Fluid exchange, a lot of times too you see them expel waste and zooxanthellea when acclimating.

Prolonged oral gapping is a bad sign, as is an Anemone not footed and floating around the tank, presentation of Mesenterial Filaments out of the oral opening or seen protruding through the main body.

Scape is very nice BTW. :)