Rolo's Mini Ocean

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by RoloSaez, Oct 16, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. RoloSaez

RoloSaez Millepora

My story goes a little like this...... The short version.

Wife: Hun I'm pregnant!
    Me: Awesome! I read in a magazine that aquariums are relaxing to crying babies.
    Wife: Really?
    Me: yes its very therapeutic for them and eases their little minds.
    Wife: We should get one.
    Me: awesome we should! So we went to a place here in Tampa and purchased the aquarium, Stand and lights. Cheap lights that came with the tank.
    Called a friend with a truck and picked that baby up. I figured with a baby on the way (turned out to be a girl) I figured I would never be able to splurge on my self ever again. Boy was I right Now I have two girls and my wife and a female dog. I'm the only guy in my house. 13 years later I still have my aquarium and it's been broken down a total of about four times since. This weekend 10/3/14 I changed out the sand. Waiting on lights. Wanting to add a remote refugium 40G. There were no digital cameras in 2002 or at least I never owned one. So I don't have images of the 2002 version. Not until 2004 when we moved into this house we are currently in.

13 years ago was so different back then not to many resources, not like the forums available today. I used beach sand, t-8 bulbs, TAP WATER, very little flow, no temperature control. many bad choices. Wife turned A/C off during a weeks vacation came home to a 97º aquarium and house and floating fish.

2004 we moved again still having issues but learning a little more. I new I needed better lights so I build my own Halide DIY kit. They were a little to close to the water (more issues to learn from) so they tank heated up fast purchased a chiller and later on I would have to tear it down again to put in wood floors. So I built a taller canopy. Added vents and fans also.
    the begining.jpg April 7th Pics_0210.JPG April 7th Pics_0208.JPG DSCF0371.JPG 29743_1378667000807_1655862556_883082_2026378_n.jpg 29743_1378667120810_1655862556_883085_1558192_n.jpg IMG_1452.JPG

A few more years go by I couldn't stand the wood floors and the dogs pacing habits. Those with wood floors, I'm sure they know what I mean. It sounded like high heels pacing back and forth. Not to mention water and wood floors never a good combo. So I tore it down one more time to Tile the whole house this time. Took this opportunity to redo the stand and build a taller canopy. Same tank same stand in the end just rebuilt. As previously seen. Here's how I moved it.
    DSCF4829.JPG
    A better looking stand still issues with low flow, algae issues, still learning. Forums are now available or I just found a few to ask questions in. Months and months of reading, taking it all in. It would take a few years to make all the right changes. Budgets always seem to get in the way. A couple lay offs etc etc la la la right. Things got better so I updated my lights to combat the heat issues with the LED's previous pictures. Still working on flow issues I realized I had way to many rocks in this tank so I took out a bunch.
    Before:
    DSCN1182.JPG
    After:
    IMG_4665.jpg
    Also The lights where only actinic and white and I now realized full spectrum is where it's at so I sold all them lights and I'm awaiting new ones.
    Upgraded my skimmer and pumps, removed rock, added the much needed flow.
    All is doing great. I've been able to increase flow dramatically. Reduced the Aquascape. Removed cc for Fiji Pink sand. Just waiting on lights and a 40 gallon for the remote refugium.

My poor Fish tank. I'm patiently awaiting my lights. Not much longer.......

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  2. Click Here!

3. RoloSaez

RoloSaez Millepora

4. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

Tanks for sharing Rolo. Cool video.

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Agreed.

:lol:
    That was hilarious.

Reefbuilder likes this.
  6. RoloSaez

RoloSaez Millepora

Thanks Bill
    True story my friend. I figured I would not be able to buy anything else. Kids are expensive! LOL

7. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Nice story,

Really nice video

8. Click Here!

9. RoloSaez

RoloSaez Millepora

Thanks Todd.

I managed to find a 40 Gallon aquarium to use as a remote refugium today for $30 bucks.

10. RoloSaez

RoloSaez Millepora

Lights ship out Monday! 10/20/14

11. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Great story rolo and very true. Can't wait to see the lights

12. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

Great deal on the 40 gallon and excellent story. Couldn't see the video but knowing you and hearing it from everyone else I know its a great video.