'Roids

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by bekendbrt, Sep 2, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bekendbrt

bekendbrt Plankton

Will Hydroids really grow into jellyfish?

I have both the tube-y ones, and the polyp ones [on the glass however.]

I don't plan on keeping corals or anything...perhaps an anemone and a few inverts. Should I be worried?

2. Click Here!

3. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

Dont worry, all will die. Either die in the process or be eaten! I've read that Jellyfish are extremely difficult to breed in captivity. So if you were to really breed Jellyfishes, man.. you would be an important figure in the marine world.

4. bekendbrt

bekendbrt Plankton

Thanks-

I've been cycling the tank for about a month and a half now, no fish in it. They started popping up after I bought a piece of live rock with brown zoos on it... I thought the tubes were just small zoos growing, but the the polyps started on my glass. The zoos died and i started seeing about 50-100 polyps on the glass, and maybe 1-2 dozen of the tubes on the rock.

I guess I don't mind them so much, especially because in some geeky sort of way I think it's cool to have multiple life stages of a cnidarian in my tank...

They shouldn't be a problem for fish, right? Will fish eat them?

5. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

It's really normal to see them pop up as your tank cycles. Sometimes you will, sometimes you wont. I guess it depends on the rock you bring in, but they will be wiped out either way. Fish wont eat them, but some inverts including a nudibranch that only eats hydroids will. There is actually a nudi that eats only hydroids. ...it's pretty neat. :tongue4: I think the white flatworm will also devour those little guys.