ROE Question

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by schackmel, Feb 17, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

Went to Chinese supermarket today to buy food stuff to make fish mush (my golden puffer likes coarser ground food, my mantis likes chunks and my reef tank likes mush....while my scorpion is still on live, plus I make reef food for my parents tank) :eek: Lots o food!

I went to get this seafood blend there, but when I looked at it it contained a lot of other junk, so I did not get it. Instead bought all the individual ingredients. (Much cheaper then last time at normal grocery store)

I am soaking them all in RO/DI water now to pull phosphates out.

Question I have is this....I found ROE and bought it. When I looked at the label once I got it home it is listed as:
    Roe
    Corn syrup
    Soy sauce
    MSG

with the small amount of Roe that I would add to the mush...what is your opinions of the other ingredients? I would only add it to the reef tank as my Golden would not bother! Please advise

2. Click Here!

3. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Hmmm. I dont know about those other ingredients. I have used roe before. You can go to asian/international food markets and buy flying fish roe. It's used as a garnish on sushi. That stuff will be 100% roe, with nothing else added. My mandarin loves that stuff.
    I dont think I'd use it with those other ingredients.

4. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

well I didnt use the roe....I did make up the different mushes...Used Squid, octopus, clams, brine/mysis shrimp mix, longfish, silversides, salmon, talapia, sole, krill, marine flakes, seaweed, selcon, vitamins, garlic and some Rods food. I added phytoplankton to the reef

For goldie...I used everything the same except not the brine/mysis and added shrimp. I chopped his up in large pieces.