RODI unit: is this one any good?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Seano Hermano, Mar 11, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

It is a 6 stage RODI unit(made by Filters Direct) with 4g pressurised tank and a sink facet. This is designed for use with the aquarium and drinking water. It is for sale on my local forum for $100. It is only being sold because the owner just bought it and doesn't have high enough water-pressure to use it. I didn't see how many GPD it was rated for...:confused:

[​IMG]

Filter Direct Online Store (C)

Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. crank2211

crank2211 Purple Spiny Lobster

My first RODI was very similar to that one that I bought off ebay. It's kind a franken-RoDi now because I've slowly been swapping parts out. One thing I hated about the original were those smaller horizontally mounted DI canisters. Water would end up creating channels through the resin and just floating on top of the channels instead of seeping through the bulk of the resin. If you do pick it up, I would swap out that horizontal di canister with a single or dual vertical up-flow type canister from BRS.

If I could do it again, I would have just bought a SpectrPure unit.

Also the link right at the bottom of your post brings you to the product page. Says it's a 100 GPD membrane.

Filter Direct Online Store (C)

4. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

I just went through a huge lesson from Desert Rat about ro di units. And no that one is not very good for aquariums, They describne it for house use and aquarium use but i would say the filters are just regular ones for a house unit. The external holding tank is irrelvent for aquariums. Its for house taps so when you turn on the tap there is water right away instead waiting a few mins for it to build up. The filters are generic and wont do a very good job or giving you clean water. I was using a coralife brand and tested the water and it was giving me over 100 readings on the tds meter. I since purchased a spectralife unit and tested the water and was given a reading of 0. I was trying to be cheap but the money spent on the spectrapure was one of the best investments i have made in my tank.

5. Seano Hermano

Hmm...Dad wants to be able to use the unit fro drinking in addition to just the aquarium; that's why I was looking at the unit in OP. I have talked to Desert Rate several times about this subject, but I never came to a result that would be good for drinking water, but also good for a reef tank.

6. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

The tank will almost always kill the membrane and your DI quicker because of the constant on/off switching you'll get.

7. Seano Hermano

8. Click Here!

9. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

well i would say there are higher restrictions put on aquarium filtered water than our everyday drinking water. Why does the unit need to be say good for house use. An aquarium unit will give you quality drinking water.

10. smoyer

smoyer Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

if add aditional DI chambers it be fine for both aquarium and drinking water,,,BRS is my favorite RODIs

11. Seano Hermano

The extra filtering of water from the DI unit, in addition to the carbon filter, basically makes the water almost tasteless.

To tell you the truth, I don't know why he's worried about drinking water. We live in town and the city water tastes fine to me.

12. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Get a spectrapure, and hook up a T and ball valve after the carbon block. That way the really nasty stuff gets caught but it still has a good taste, while also having a decent flow rate.