$%^*%#^ rodi filter!

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by stepho, Oct 9, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

So I was getting really low production out my filter so I assumed the RO filter needed changing, since it was old and I forgot to change the pre-filters. I bought all new filters $140 worth the filters and I am still getting NO production. My gauge is showing 0 psi, but the input water has quite a bit of pressure behind it (I can't plug it with my finger). So I am thinking something is clogging the line some where between the pre-filter and the RO filter (which is where the gauge is).

:furious3:

2. Click Here!

3. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

If the gauge is screwed into the RO housing its possible its screwed in too far and the sensing hole in the end of the stem is hitting the membrane. I have seen this many times before. Unscrew the gauge, clean the threads up, apply several wraps of heavy teflon tape and screw it back in but stop before it seats all the way.

If thats not it try another gauge, they do go bad sometimes, especially if they have experienced a water hammer or pressure spike.

4. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

ok!!!! all the water is going out the drain. Any ideas why?

5. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

The gauge is actually T'ed off right before the RO membrane. its not actually in the housing. So even if the gauge goes bad, it shouldn't affect the operation.

6. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

If all the water is going out the drain, you don't have a flow restrictor installed or it is bad.

1 person likes this.
  7. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

Ok thanks for your help AZ. Is a flow restrictor something I can get from home depot, or do I need to order it from the manufacturer?

8. Click Here!

9. armison89

armison89 Purple Spiny Lobster

you can get one from any place that sells r/o systems. i got my new one from buckeye field supply. great service.

10. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

No.

Your best choice is Buckeye or Spectrapure, they are about the only two that sell the much better capilary tube type flow restrictors which you trim and adjust for your exact water conditions. Others sell a fixed type that usually is only ballpark close at best and could end up wasting lots more water and lowering your RO production with the lost pressure. Spectrapure sells them for $5 and they come with very detailed instructions. Russ probably provides about the same at Buckeye.

11. BuckeyeFieldSupply

BuckeyeFieldSupply Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Do you have a flush valve that is open?

If your system ever worked (and it sounds like it did), then its unlikely a missing flow restrictor is the problem (unless you've removed it).

Yeow - $140 for new filters??? Good gracious - someone saw you coming!:eek:

Russ

12. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

Yeah the $140 for filters was extremely inflated you could have added another $50 & gotten a 90gpd unit from Spectrapure. That's a bummer.