Rocks

Discussion in 'General Freshwater Information' started by Boredm, Jun 22, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Boredm

Boredm Spaghetti Worm

Ok, probably a stupid question. Can I put my reef rocks in a fw tank for a bit. I don't mind if it kill them, I have enough in my sw to seed them again. will it hurt my fw fish, will it hurt my ecosystem?

2. Click Here!

3. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

i'd try to keep your fw and sw stuff seperate.fw medicines like copper can ruin live rock.also you may have clams inside that rock and who knows what else that will die in fw tanks and do more harm than good but to each their own.

1 person likes this.
  4. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

I would keep them away. You can create your own reason as I don't have one but I just wouldn't do it. In my few years of reefkeeping I have never seen this happen.

1 person likes this.
  5. IndianOutlaw

IndianOutlaw Bristle Worm

I dont think that would be a good idea. FW and SW are extremely different. The algaes are dfferent the bacteria is different.. I wouldnt take the risk

1 person likes this.
  6. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I'm not positive about this but aragonite based rocks may cause undesirable ph swings in fresh water.

1 person likes this.
  7. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

That would be my major concern and calcium release, Unless its a An African Cichlid tank that requires saltwater elemental levels less the salt. Putting any type rock used in a marine system with its lower Ph of 7.0 or less like 6.8 would cause immediate dissolution of the Carbonates and Ca. and would probably kill off the F/W fish in know time for what ever its worth I'd never do this again :)

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

That's what I thought but I wasn't sure :)

1 person likes this.
  10. Boredm

Boredm Spaghetti Worm

Well, due to all the feedback and what seems like really no good reason to even try this, I'v decided to just build a refugium for the sw and keep the rest of my rock in that. My g/f is pissed with how many tanks we have running in our small condo... but that's the nature of the beast. karma to all of you who posted. Thanks