rocks in the aquarium

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by TheSteve, Aug 12, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. TheSteve

TheSteve Astrea Snail

Can anyone tell me how many pounds of rock can an aquarium hold? :eek:

2. Click Here!

3. beamer

beamer Sea Dragon

I see your new here so WELCOME!!

I'm a newbie here myself,4 mos., If you don't hear from anyone pretty soon you might try calling one of the stores that carry LR or check with some of the webs that sell LR and ask them.  I have a 120 gl tank and I have a 160 or more of LR.  I think it depends on not just the weight of the rock but the density of the rock as well. To me, rocks that have lots of little holes allows the corals a little bit more to hold on to. Some one mentioned a good site the other day and I believe they are one of our sponsors so that's where I would start.www.liverocks.com and another was mentioned www.hirocks.com. Below your post is a thread called Live Rock on line, you may want to take a look at it. Over to the right is a listing of topics including sponsors so you might want to click on sponsors and see what you can find.

You'll have some others chimming in here before long.
    Good luck and happy rock hunting! :)

Cindy

4. beamer

beamer Sea Dragon

I just went to the sponsor site for LiveRocks.com. They look really good to me. Click on their forum under "Seewhat they have to say about us" Its in red towards the bottom. They should be able to answer any questions you might have. Their rock really looks great.At the top of the forum they have a calculator to determine the amount of LS that you need. I need to get new sand so that was helpful to me.

Cindy

5. TheSteve

TheSteve Astrea Snail

Outstanding!! Thanks for all of your help beamer.

I will give that a look ;D ::)

6. beamer

beamer Sea Dragon

Your are welcome!

Let me know what you find and what you decide to do!
    Have fun!

Cindy

7. TheSteve

TheSteve Astrea Snail

Unfortunately I did not see a calculator for rocks. ::)

Right now I have a 26 gallon bow front tank with 6 pounds of LR. I think that i would like to add another 6 pounds. By reading some of the comments I think I will be ok, what do you think? The rock is fairly spread out, so hope for the best. My shrimp seem to love it. ;D

8. Click Here!

9. beamer

beamer Sea Dragon

What I would do is go on their forum and ask them the question. You will want some of the rock stacked so that your fish and other critters have hidding places. They can tell you how much to use with out overdoing it or not having enough. Your rock will also act as part of your filtration system so you want to have enough of it. Are you also using sand and if so How much? There's a lot of debate going on at this time whether to go with a deep sand bed or to go bottomless. Bottomless is easier to clean.

You'll be getting some suggestions from some of the others before too long, especially after work. Today I'm being a bum! ;D Feels right good to me!

Cindy

10. TheSteve

TheSteve Astrea Snail

Right now I have about an inch of LS and sand mixed together for my tank. I like the look, it reminds me of a beach. Being here in Omaha we don't see any of those here.

Steve :eek:

11. reefman_MC

reefman_MC Aiptasia Anemone

In a 26 gallon tank you will want anywhere between 30 and 45 pounds. By the time you get all that you want and get it aquascaped you will know howm uch is enough. Get yourself a picture of how you want it in your mind and do it that way. There is no such thing as an ugly reef tank. So no matter how it goes it will look good.

12. TheSteve

TheSteve Astrea Snail

Thanks,
    ;D ;D ;D ;D