Rock to aquarium gallon ratio

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by MajesticCoral, Sep 23, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. MajesticCoral

MajesticCoral Fire Worm

I'm pretty new and was wondering how much live rock should one have for say a 46 gallon bf tank,in general what's the ratio of rock that should be used per gallon also is there a weight limit because I'm also going to have sand gravel and with the rock that ads up.

2. Click Here!

3. armison89

armison89 Purple Spiny Lobster

get dry rock not live rock. will it be a reef or fowlr? if its a reef i would do around 50lds of dry rock and see if anyone near you has some live rock to seed your dry rock.

4. Reef Queen

Reef Queen Feather Duster

I think it is supposed to be around 1-1.5 (anyone correct me if im wrong) pounds per gallon.as armison said if you get mainly dry rock and seed it with some LR you will save some money UNLESS you can find someone around you tearing down a tank...ive seen it as low as $1 per pound on CL around me (if only i needed more LR haha thats an awesome deal!) if thats the case get all live rock...then you dont have to worry about seeding dry rock.

5. BioFreak

BioFreak Feather Duster

Reef Queen is 100% correct. 1-1.5 lbs per gallon. Not to brag but I love the rock I have recieved from Marco Rocks, and they have a 5/50 lb combo deal 5 lbs of live and 50 lbs of dry for a good price. Using that will cover your entire rock needs; the dry rock will become live rock in a couple of months to a year.

6. MajesticCoral

MajesticCoral Fire Worm

I really want to do live rock,I seen it go from 6.00 for decent LR and 8.00 for prime.
    Thanks for answering my question,I want to try getting some Fiji LR

So how do you go a bouts in curing it and how long does it take

7. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

it depends on the rock also.
    i got BRS pukani dry rock and there is no way i could fit 65 lbs in my 65g. 45lbs filled it nicely.
    why do you want live rock so bad? the dry rock i have is only 4 months old and looks like its been live rock forever.

8. Click Here!

9. BioFreak

BioFreak Feather Duster

Personally if you are setting up a new tank let it cure while the tank cycles, then you be good. Plus while you cycle you probably be watching the tank more if you are also curing the rock. This way you'll notice any nusiance items (IE glass anenome) prior to introducing your first live stock.

Marco Rocks does also sell Live Fiji rock

10. Katie Grant

Katie Grant Aiptasia Anemone

craigslist is the way to go! I got around 60lb live rock for only like $1.50 a lb! :))

11. MajesticCoral

MajesticCoral Fire Worm

Oh alright good idea,is Marcos rock on the Internet,I went on CL they were selling it for 2.50 a pound but it's not Fiji lol

12. BioFreak

BioFreak Feather Duster

Marco Rocks is on the internet and they are one of the 3reef sponsors. So just go to the sponsor page and you will find their link.