Rock support?

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by gabbyr189, May 8, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. gabbyr189

gabbyr189 Bubble Tip Anemone

In my current tank I made the mistake of putting the rock on top of the sand. At the time, this seemed to be more logical, as the rock wouldn't scratch/break the bottom glass.

I will be doing a shallow sand bed in my new 90 gallon (~1.5"). What are different methods of supporting the rock structure? And how can I prevent the rock from damaging the glass on the bottom of the tank?

I will be adding 50 lbs of new dry rock and around 50 lbs of LR from my current tank. I will probably add more rock as time goes on, so I want to have a solid base to add to.

2. Click Here!

3. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

You could cut eggcrate and place it under where the rocks will be sitting. That's what I did.

1 person likes this.
  4. nept2n

nept2n Coral Banded Shrimp

I did the same I used eggcrate

1 person likes this.
  5. gabbyr189

Works for me! Thanks!

6. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

The only problem with the egg crate is the potential to create little pockets of anaerobic sand under your base rock. These can eventually lead to nastier substances that if disturbed could kill your entire tank!
    I have seen some pvc structures that if built correctly raise the rock completely off the bottom except for a few minimal contact points that hide the pvc that rests on the bottom. This also allows for some interesting overhangs and caves as well as improved water circulation.

7. nept2n

Telgar is right. Here is a couple of pics of what I did with my eggcrate. I did lift it about an 1 1/2 and I have minimal areas that come in contact with the sand.

IMG_6586.JPG

IMG_6609.JPG

Hope this helps

8. Click Here!

9. gabbyr189

Yes this makes total sense. I have actually heard of this before but forgot. So you drilled holes in the PVC to allow oxygenated water to flow through, thus killing all obligate anaerobes. I suppose facultative anaerobes would still have the ability to grow, but I'm not sure what impact these have on a reef aquarium.

10. nept2n