rock slide/monti gravel

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by zjpeter, Aug 29, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. zjpeter

zjpeter Ritteri Anemone

i had a bit of a rockslide while i was cleaning my tank and i shattered all my pieces of monti cap :cry:. how small do you suppose you can "frag" montipora and have it still survive? a couple of pieces are only about 1/2 x 1/2 inch.

2. Click Here!

3. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

There's no harm in trying to see if they can bounce back. I would glue them to small rubble and if they do make it, sell the unexpected frags.

~Will.

4. zjpeter

zjpeter Ritteri Anemone

that'd be nice. i went from three to 8 pieces. it's a good thing this stuff grows so fast. my green candy cane got smashed too but thats not new, he's bounced back from worse.

5. oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1 Fire Squid

yea just glue all the pieces to seperate rocks they should be fine,when i frag my caps i just break off pieces with my hands.

6. tatted4ever

tatted4ever Clown Trigger

When I fragged my green monti cap.... a tiny piece broke and landed in a crevice in my rock. Its GROWING. I dont want it to grow there but my point is it was 1cmx1cm if that. And it still managed to grow.

Same thing with my green slimer. Removed it from frag plug. Tiny and I mean tiny piece chiiped off and landed on one of my rocks. Been about 3 months and its a size of a quarted now.

7. mirandacollc

mirandacollc Flame Angel

I had a friend give me 6 monti caps about a month ago on the way home a green monti cap about the size of a baseball broke into 6 pieces. I put all the chips into crevases in the rock as I had no glue and they are growing there was even one that fell behind a roch and was there for weeks in the sand and a few days ago I piced it up and placed in the rock again and its looking good today.

8. Click Here!

9. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

My purple rimmed green monti started as a grain of rice that I salvaged from one damaged in shipping, it is thriving and growing great now. It all depends on how gently you glue it, small pieces tend to get covered in glue and THAT will kill them

10. zjpeter

zjpeter Ritteri Anemone

well thanks, all. i guess i'm just new to SPS corals so i fret about them (i had a bad acro experience for my first SPS). i remember stressing out about my mushrooms and GSP, lol. hopefully the monti is fine