Rock pillars

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by Moxtrain, Apr 5, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Moxtrain

Moxtrain Peppermint Shrimp

Anyone tried any of the rock pillars from marcorocks? I'd be interested in seeing them in somebodies tank or just hearing opinions on them. I have a build coming up in a hexagonal tank and they seem interesting to me. TIA

2. Click Here!

3. Moxtrain

In that case it may be time for me to take the plunge. I'll let you guys know how they look if i pull the trigger on them

4. Jay1982

Jay1982 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I know some people stack them up outside of the aquarium, then clue the rocks together using foam to make sure that they don't fall apart and smash the glass. Another route to go is to drill holes down the middle and insert pvc tubing to keep the pillar steady. Either way I wouldn't suggest simply stacking them up because eventually something might knock um down.

5. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

epoxy is amazing look at my thread and you will see an arch/bridge formation I created using 5 different rocks

6. Jay1982

Jay1982 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Sick setup!!! I've always wanted to do something like that!

7. Moxtrain

Not really worried about making my own. Was asking about marcorocks pillars. Thanks though.

8. Click Here!

9. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

Id give them a shot. Looking at their website it looks pretty standard. You are going to get a very porous pillar shaped rock lol. Unfortunately i didn't see any standard dimensions on their pieces. Also When ordering see if you can get a pic if thats an issue for you.

10. Moxtrain

Dimensions are ~ 6" x 6" x 12-16"

The other road I may go down is buying a bunch of either their 1-2 sided cut rock and make a spiral staircase type pillar by drilling and threading rod through the center of them.

11. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

Oh man that would be so cool looking! then you could go a different encrusting monti frad on each stiar and call it stairway to heaven .

12. BUGz

BUGz Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I made my own pillars, here are some pics from my ongoing 185g, 38" tall tank. I used all Marco Key Largo rock, drilled holes through them using a mason bit and a wood hole saw. Built a support base from 1/2" PVC and slipped the rock pieces on.
    I build it in two parts to make it easier AND safer getting it into the tank. This column weighs about 70 lbs and is 29" tall and is very stable. It was set into the tank already filled with water, in case something was dropped, also placed egg crate on the bottom for further protection. All went well and the tank is half way through the cycling process now.
    Tall tanks are a different world and have been learning a ton of things as I go. After the learning curve and trial and error, I'm really liking the looks of this tank and glad I decided to do it, tall tanks display like not others!
    Gotta love the Marco Rock!!
    I have a build thread on the big forum with more info titled "2Tall 185G Build",
    sorry to mention other forums....:-X

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.