rock from fw aquarium to sw?

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by brian0420, May 16, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. brian0420

brian0420 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

i was runnin some test on my 45gal fw and found some rock that i used to keep in my fw aquarium for my electric blue crayfish(very cool for fw) it is just some flat, graysih colored rock, and has been out of my fw aquarium for over 2 weeks, since i converted one of my tanks to sw. I was wondering if i could rinse it in tap water, soak it in sw, and add it to my sw tank. how long would i soak it in sw for, and will this rock become live?

2. Click Here!

3. jakeh24

jakeh24 Pajama Cardinal

well i wouldnt recomend it
    the rock like most may contain hevey metals

if you are looking to save some cash try some good ol base rock

4. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

Flat, grey stone sounds like slate... Most likely it will be fine. A good thorough soaking and cleaning and it will be fine.
    It will turn into "live" rock once it is covered in various algaes, and is littered with bethnic inverts and worms... Could take weeks, could take years, depending on maturity of tank.

5. Froc3

Froc3 Fire Goby

Only issue I could see is that it would be silicate based. Some people have suggested that silicates can cause algae blooms.

6. brian0420

brian0420 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

should i have a problem with algae blooms will a clean up crew take care of that problem and i have never used any meds in my tank so i can't imagine why there would be any metals in the tank....think i'm gonna rinse it and when my algae blooms pop up i'm sure everyone can help me get rid of it....thanks all....oh yeah and nearest lfs i trust is over an hour away so with gas guzzlin tucks it cost quite a bit just to get there

7. coldshot

coldshot Blue Ringed Angel

I would recommend getting base rock or live rock instead of chancing on unknown rock....
    Danny