Rock for frag question .

Discussion in 'Frags' started by Fuzzyfishog, Jan 18, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Fuzzyfishog

Fuzzyfishog Bristle Worm

I have been using Figi rubble for my frags is there anything cheep and safe to substitute instead of the rubble . I took in to the LFS about 50 stalks of xenia that had gone out of control and got 75$ not worth buying more rubble but hate to throw the stuff out .

2. Click Here!

3. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

You could either buy the round ceramic plugs or go to HD or Lowes and buy those 1' x 1' x 1" floor tiles made out of porcelain. They come out really cheap. Luna

1 person likes this.
  4. reefwisperer

reefwisperer Feather Duster

ahhhhh great idea luna........k+........that could start a whole new trend!!!!!! they acully make ceramic tiles with shells and seahorses and beach designs but i'd have to have upainted. with the right design it would look very custom you could tile the back wall with coral in various spots

5. Fuzzyfishog

Fuzzyfishog Bristle Worm

Luna that would work but I'm looking for something that kind of looks natural in the tank . I piled up the rubble close to xenia colony and in about 3 months it had covered the rubble . Thought maybe there was some kind of rock I could find local . the LFS always has baseball sized rock covered with mushrooms, GSP or zoes and i'm not sure whats in the middle but with the cost of live rock by the # I don't think thats what most of them are ? The pic showes some of the Pom Pom xenia a few months back it started from one stalk .

[​IMG]

6. Damsels R Cool

Damsels R Cool Millepora

just get some base rock and a hammer and make rubble

7. Perculator

Perculator Feather Duster

Id go with base rock as well, smash it up into smaller pieces, and use that.

8. Click Here!

9. jamieg666

jamieg666 Astrea Snail

when i go to the lfs and buy fish/coral im always cheecky and ask for the single mushrooms that fall to the bottom and take home in the sand and hes kool with that.dosnt hurt to ask:-X;D

10. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator